Question

File Conversion Dialogue Box

When attempting to open a file or doc. that I downloaded from the internet or have scaned to my computer, the file conversion dialogue box opens up with directions to select encoding that makes your document readable.
Text encoding choices include Windows ( Default) - MS DOS - Other.

None of the above works.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: File Conversion Dialogue Box
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: File Conversion Dialogue Box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Re: file conversion

Please tell more about the files.

1. For such a downloaded file or doc tell the download link, so somebody here can try to download the same file as you did and see what happens. Just to check we download the right file: tell us the full filename (including file type/extension) and the size in bytes.
2. What program do you use to open the file?

3. What do you mean with "scaned to my computer"?
4. What program do you use to open that file?

Kees

- Collapse -
File Conversion

I have saved documents from Fine Woodworking. In the past (2 x weeks prior) I did not have issues with files or docs of that nature.

When opening an HTML file a line at the bottom of my screen indicates that Intertnet Explorerhas restricted this web page from running scrips or ActiveX controls. The written section of the document is giberish. The photos are clear, as they should be. When I allow blocked content, the problem disappears.

When attempting to open a pdf file or document, the file conversion dialogue box opens, as mentioned before.

I have scanned a number of pages from my notebook (pdf file) and have saved it in a folder. When opening the page, the file conversion dialogue box opens up, as mentioned before.

I am running Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9, 64 bit.

I have a thought that up grading to Internet 9 and running ActiveX controls would be the source of my problems.

- Collapse -
Re: file conversion dialog

Seems that the file association for a pdf-file is wrong. You shouldn't open it with Notepad or Wordpad or MS Word or whatever program you use now (you didn't tell). You should open it with a pdf-reader.

So just correct the file association. Until that's done, run your reader from the start menu and use its File>Open command.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-which-programs-Windows-uses-by-default tells how to tell Windows what program to use. But just re-installing any reader (Adobe, Foxit, Nitro) does the trick also.

Kees

- Collapse -
File Conversion

I have attempted to download Adobe reader a number of times. A dialogue box opens with a note that Adobe was unable to download due to error 81.. Where does one find the list of errors in order to correct?

Also have been notified that Explorer 9 cannot be the default. Why is that?

Casadia.

- Collapse -
Re: adobe

If the usual download from Adobe doesn't work, your two options are:
- see if the download of the full installer works. My colleague Grif told where to find it in http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6122_102-5208742.html?tag=posts;msg5208742
- install another reader than Adobe's, like foxit or nitro (both free downloads also)

I've got no ideas for your IE9 question.

Kees

- Collapse -
File Conversion

Thanks for the info. Adobe patch successfully installed.

CNET Forums