Computer Help forum

General discussion

File and Settings Transfer Wizard won't recognize saved .DAT

by knaguib77 / June 22, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

Hello all,
I have a Gateway 836GM running on XP Media Center edition (version 2002) with SP3. It has roughly 225GB of space on the hard drive, 1gb ram, and a Pentium D 2.8ghz processor. Here is the issue that I am having:

I needed to reimage my compute about two weeks ago, and used the Files and Settings transfer wizard on windows XP to save my photos, files, mp3's, ect. I set the path to save the files to my external hard drive, and then proceeded to reimage the computer once I saw that the files were successfully transfered to the external. When I tried to reinstall the files on the computer, after reimaging, using the files and settings transfer wizard, I get the following error message:
"The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type a valid folder path into the edit box.
If you entered a path to a folder on a removable disk, the disk must be in the drive."
I have tried everything that I can think of to try to get the data back. I really don't understand the issue, as the computer is recognizing my drive, and when I open the folder that the data is stored in, I see 5 files: one called Status that is only 1KB, and the other 4 are IMG00001,IMG00002, IMG00003, and IMG00004 which are all roughly 2gb, and DAT files. I have done this process a number of times before, and have always been successful, but for some reason it is not working this time.
Please HELP. All of my photos and word documents are on that drive.
Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: File and Settings Transfer Wizard won't recognize saved .DAT
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: File and Settings Transfer Wizard won't recognize saved .DAT
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For that sort of transfer, do not use FAST.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2008 6:40 AM PDT

While you could try TAKE OWNERSHIP (see google) of these files, for simple transfers like this we only need to copy the files so they are not locked up inside this format.
Bob

Collapse -
You're not the only one.
Collapse -
Thanks, That worked
by knaguib77 / June 22, 2008 9:41 AM PDT

So the issue that I had was that I changed the folder name from USMT2.UNC to something more recognizable to me. When I changed it back to the default name, it worked, and I was able to use the file and settings transfer without a glitch.
Thank you so much for the link. You saved me.

Collapse -
RE: "when I open the folder that the data is stored in ..."

are you pointing to that "folder" or just to the external drive?

"The location that you specified does not contain stored information. Please type a valid folder path into the edit box."

Collapse -
RE: RE: when i open the folder that the data is stored in...
by knaguib77 / June 23, 2008 9:38 AM PDT

I pointed to the folder that the data is stored in. You need to make sure that the folder is named USMT2.UNC, otherwise it will not be recognized.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?