HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Few Things

by CoreyP / January 21, 2006 9:37 AM PST

1) How do i change where my downloads go to? They automatically download to the desktop now, how do i change that.

2)Also, ive asked a few times but havent got a good answer yet on how to make things i download such as mp3s, progs, etc viewable only when im logged on to my account. Like say i download a program while im on my account, i dont want my roomie to be able to use it when he is logged on to his account or even see it. I have admin powers by the way. I hope my question makes sense. But thanks for the help everyone.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Few Things
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Few Things
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Corey, Which Browser?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 10:04 AM PST
In reply to: Few Things

1. On Internet Explorer, if you use the standard download window, you will be given a window that says: "Save As". Simply use the drop down menu at the top of the screen in the "Save In" line, then choose the place where you want it to be saved..

On Firefox, click on "Tools", "Options", select the "Downloads" tab, then select whether you want it to "Ask me each time" or "Save All Files to this folder" and browse to the correct folder for your preferred download location.

2. On Windows XP, simply set up multiple user accounts and make the roommate a "limited user".(All users set up as admin accounts have full access so you'll need to set up the roomie with a limited account.) If you are set up as a user with admin rights with a separate log in account, then the limited user can't access your desktop to view any downloads. To set up other user accounts, open the Control Panel, double click on the "User Accounts" icon, then "Create a New Account" for the roomie. After setting the name of the account, then make sure the roomie is a "Limited user".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Grif?
by CoreyP / January 21, 2006 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: Corey, Which Browser?

I set all the other accounts to limited. I then went on one of the accounts to see if it worked. On my account which is admin i have a folder called MP3z. How come when i logged on to one of the limited accounts i was still able to go to and open that folder? I want anything i download,install,have, etc on my account only to be viewed or used by me? I hope what im saying is making sense. I just dont see why no matter what account im on, even if its limited, they can still use or view things i have on my account which is admin.

Collapse -
Local machine thing
by Flirkann / January 21, 2006 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: Grif?

Assuming you opened windows explorer or my computer and manually went to the folder, there's not a lot you can do from windows to stop this. How ever as long as your roomie respects your privacy and doesn't go looking, the folder is hidden.
For installed programs, some can set themselves up for each user account and are able to keep the other account's data hidden while others will need a trip into the part of the "Documents and Settings" folder that all users have access to so you can get access to the shared "Start Menu".
From here you can "cut" the icons and folders for the app you want to restrict access to and put them in your personalised start menu.
The only sure fire way to prevent others accessing local files is to put them on some form of removable media, for ypou the best bet would be a flash memory device or external HDD.

Collapse -
Grif
by CoreyP / January 21, 2006 11:13 AM PST
In reply to: Corey, Which Browser?

It might help if i tell you i have 2 partitions. C and D. I install everything on D on my account. XP is installed on C. I guess all im wanting to do is make anything i download, view, install on my account (admin) only viewable and usable by me when im logged on to my account. If everyone can use anything on any account no matter which account they are logged into whats the point of having different accounts?

Collapse -
Documents and settings...
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2006 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: Grif

User accounts exist so that you can maintain seperate files and settings. If you are the sole administrator, or you make a folder private, only you can access the contents. By default, only you and other admins can access your My Documents folder. Anything on your desktop is up for op unless you right-click the folder and modify the properties so that it's private.

As to programs, they can be accessed by anyone, including a guest, providing you have not disabled the guest account. If you want to prevent others from using the programs, you can modify permissions for each one individually, but it's not easy. However, you cannot prevent others from seeing what you have installed...that's not something the operating system does.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Corey, As Has Been Described By The Others..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 1:38 PM PST
In reply to: Grif

If you're using the NTFS file system, you can place folders and files in your "My Documents" folder or in a separate folder on your personal desktop and the other "Limited users" won't be able to view or use it. If they are placed directly on the C drive, unless you change the permissions for access, other users will have access. It's based upon permissions and where you place the files/folders.

On the other hand, many programs will install and be usable by everyone on the computer unless they are among those few that have a special installation ability to be used by the installer only. That's not available for all programs so it may be difficult to protect and installed program from another users without changing the permissions for access to the actual .exe file.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
In answer to your questions...
by Edward ODaniel / January 21, 2006 12:23 PM PST
In reply to: Few Things

the manner in which to change where a file goes has been explained.

As far as keeping your files private, that is a function of PERMISSIONS and the file system.

If your file system is FAT32 you can forget about keeping anything private. If you are making use of the NTFS file system then you can set file and folder permissions to allow or disallow as you desire.

Here is a link regarding the setting of permissions that you should find both handy and informative:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308418#3

If your file system is FAT32 you can change it to NTFS rather easily by opening a command prompt and using the Convert command:

CONVERT drive: /FS:NTFS [/V]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097

Collapse -
Thanks Edward
by CoreyP / January 21, 2006 1:49 PM PST

I figured out what you're talking about....kind of. There are 4 users on my machine and I am admin. When i went under the security tab for a folder i tried many things. I did make it to where the other users couldnt access that folder, but it also made it where i couldnt either. Ill keep playing with it and maybe ill get it. Im not trying to hide anything really, i just dont want other users to mess up my stuff which is one of the reasons i went to XP. Anyways, thanks for the help!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.