HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Few questions before i take the plunge

by helix21 / February 27, 2009 9:41 PM PST

Hey, i plan on installing windows 7 on my laptop which currently has xp on it , i already have a key and the iso.

1. I am already dual booting ubuntu and xp, will tri booting cause significant strain on the pc?
2. Can windows 7 damage the hardware of the laptop/ the motherboard/ harddrive and hence essentially 'brick' my laptop?
I dont mind removing windows 7 if its troublesome (constant BSODS) and reverting back to xp.
So, do i have a safe passage from 7 to xp if 7 messes up?
3. How do i remove windows 7 (which i will have to at some point) and reclaim my partitioned harddrive space. Will simple merging partitions work or will the data be lost forever?
4. Because i am running xp on a 4 year old laptop (which, thankfully has never sniffed vista) will i have a driver problem when i upgrade?

You now, just cautious that i dont mess up when installing and some guy in school (stupidly) installed win7 over vista(upgrade) and crashed his graphics card and went on to buy a new pc

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Few questions before i take the plunge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Few questions before i take the plunge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Specs
by helix21 / February 27, 2009 9:45 PM PST

Sorry for the double post, but i couldnt edit the post

I thought it will be helpful to post the specs of my laptop

Hp dv1000 series
1 GB ram
Intel centrino pentium M
2.0 Ghz processor
Intel mobile 915/GMS Chipset (graphics card)
I plan to give it the required 16-18 GB HDD space

Collapse -
I run Win 7 on a Sager laptop
by orlbuckeye / March 11, 2009 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Specs

that is a Pentium M and it runs fine. I do have 2 gig of ram compared to your 1. I also have a discrete ATI graphics card that allows me to use Aero. The biggest problem with 3 patitions is if you want to run an application in multiple OS's. I had that issue back when OS/2 was out. Applications store Dll's and other files in the system folders of the OS they are installed in. If you use Open office for your office package you may need to install it 3 times (Xp, Ubantu & Win7).

Collapse -
Some answers...
by John.Wilkinson / February 28, 2009 12:54 AM PST

1. I am already dual booting ubuntu and xp, will tri booting cause significant strain on the pc?
-> No. Adding a new operating system just takes up additional space on the hard drive. The only 'strain' is if you are running multiple operating systems (or programs) at the same time, each of which takes up system resources and thus potentially slowing the system down.

2. Can windows 7 damage the hardware of the laptop/ the motherboard/ harddrive and hence essentially 'brick' my laptop?
-> No. There are technically exceptions, but as a general rule, software cannot harm hardware.

So, do i have a safe passage from 7 to xp if 7 messes up?
-> Depends what you mean. If Windows 7 malfunctions you can remove it and have Windows XP still intact. However, you cannot downgrade directly from Windows 7 to Windows XP.

3. How do i remove windows 7 (which i will have to at some point) and reclaim my partitioned harddrive space. Will simple merging partitions work or will the data be lost forever?
-> First remove the Windows Boot Manager (instructions), then delete the partition and enlarge another partition from the unallocated space. (GParted is a free partitioning application.)

4. Because i am running xp on a 4 year old laptop (which, thankfully has never sniffed vista) will i have a driver problem when i upgrade?
-> Possibly, but compatible drivers can usually be tracked down. (Most Windows Vista drivers work for Windows 7.)

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Thanks
by helix21 / February 28, 2009 3:20 AM PST
In reply to: Some answers...

Hey john, that really helped thanks for that

I meant that (as you correctly assumed) i wanted to just remove win 7 if something went wrong and revert back to xp

I just hope that uninstalling win 7 is easy (because eventually i will need to)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.