Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Fertility Tourism?

EU faces fertility tourism threat

EU enlargement could encourage 'fertility tourists' to travel to Eastern Europe for cheap IVF, doctors have warned.

Treatment in countries such as Hungary and Slovenia costs around 2,400 euros (
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fertility Tourism?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fertility Tourism?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Fertility Tourism?

In reply to: Fertility Tourism?

Remember when everyone went to the Soviet Union for laser eye surgery?

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Fertility Tourism?

Don't recall that one, but it wouldn't surprise me. Seeking some elective procedures outside the country would seem to benefit everyone and harm few -- safety concerns aside, but you sign all sorts of waivers for Lasik, dental work, etc. as it is in this country. I was surprised to see that the UK covers one round of IVF and apparently the medical establishment wants three rounds. These expensive treatments are really in the realm of elective procedures. If safe and effective treatment can be obtained in another country, why not? For the additional money, my FIL spent a month in Ukraine and were he still working could also have taken a month off from work w/o pay and still come out ahead! Yes, there are risks, but there always are. Once the "regulators" get a hold of this, nobody benefits.

Evie Happy

Collapse -

This sounds like you cant really apply marketplace values on American Medicine. As usual only an "elite" few can get the bargains. What a sad comment this is on our system of supposedly "free enterprise " medicine!

Collapse -

In reply to: Fertility Tourism?

what they 'forget' to mention is that with all the eastern block countrie coming into the EU, the introduction of the Euro -as a common currency- will almost certainly erase any benefits that you get today...

it would be interesting to know how much Evies FIL would have paid for the same treatment 15 yrs ago, russian friends have told me that prices in the former USSR have soared....

Collapse -

Hi Jonah,

I think for the domestic consumer using local currency -- coupons then hrivna in Ukraine for example -- there has been a lot of inflation. This is due to the black market available to any with foreign currency. Forget exchange rates they are irrelevant -- if $1 = 5 hrivna, that same dollar could buy goods worth 50 hrivna. On this most recent trip, the dentist requested Euros but was still more than happy to see American dollars.

With the fall of the USSR many of these countries had highly skilled professionals that found themselves suddenly devoid of a consumer base. Obviously it is not ideal in the short run for foreign consumers to avail themselves of cheaper services while the majority of locals cannot afford them, but eventually this influx of foreign currency allows these professionals to stay in business and provide some level of service to the local population.

I don't think that in the short run the universal currency will level the playing field of costs. For example the cost in UK includes the costs of the government bureacracy and regulation whereas these are largely absent in Slovenia, etc.

I guess I just don't see this particular issue as a threat as it is called in the BBC piece. The only threat might be to the private health sector in the UK which stands to lose dollars to countries that can apparently provide a similar if not better quality of service for a lower price.

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.