General discussion

Feedback on Free DMD Chip Repairs on Samsung DLP TVs

I have a Samsung 42 inch DLP TV (model #HLS4266W) purchased 12/19/06 & noticed a white dot yesterday. After Googling it I found the posts on this site & was ready to buy another TV as this one is way out of warranty. This is a known issue & my TV qualified to get repaired at no cost. A tech will be calling me in a day to set up a repair. The only hitch was that if this fix (new DMD chip) doesn't fix the issue then I would be responsible for a "trip charge". The phone rep said that the tech should advise me up front what this charge could be & then I decide then if I want them to come out or not. Can anyone who has had a tech come out & repair this issue please provide some feedback for me asap? White dots gone? Anyone out there get stuck w/a "trip charge"?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Feedback on Free DMD Chip Repairs on Samsung DLP TVs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Feedback on Free DMD Chip Repairs on Samsung DLP TVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Your white dots

I have a 60" DLP and have had the run around from Samsung for 3 months. The TV is now almost unwatchable. I have been on the computer for almost 5 hours today reading posts about the exact same problems with litterally thousands of TV's. They are junk and they know it but go around in circles and tell you its not a bad TV. I had a tech tell me they would try the first part in line and then start charging for every part thereafter. They will start with a new lamp then a clean then will star tacking on huge amounts of money. The last thing they will replace is the board they already know is defective but by that time they have soaked you for about a grand. A new TV larger costs less today than that so it makes no sense to pay that kind of money.

- Collapse -
Your white dots

So they didn't replace the chip first? Makes sense to do that I would think. And it is the whole board that needs to be replaced, isn't it? Thanks for the heads up. I will ask questions first before I agree to the repair. I am looking for a one-time repair & if this guy can't guarantee it I am getting a Sony LED LCD TV!

- Collapse -
white dots

I just got off the phone again with them and they sent me through hoops again swearing my model number doesnt have white dot issues but someone will be calling me back tomorrow. I promise I wont hold my breath. My repair man did tell me never to buy a TV of any kind these days without an extended warantee. This is 98% of their business is fixing DLP's, LCD's and Plasmas. RCA and SONY were 2 brands he told me to never buy in TV brands. When they have issues they have them real bad and are very expensive to fix.

- Collapse -
white dots also

I'm having the same issue you are having. Apparently they don't know of a white dot issue on my model. This is BS! I have a HL-S6187W and even their Web site shows customers are complaining of it. Why are they being dishonest to some of us? I'll never buy Samsung again!

- Collapse -
The repair

Hi

As you have mentioned the DMD chip is defective it costs cca 200 € + repair costs if you send it for repair.
We are doing this stuff regulary so I can tell you nothing but changing the DMD wont help.
Regards

- Collapse -
Feedback on Free DMD Chip Repairs on Samsung DLP TVs
jzofop,

Thanks for posting this information, however, I think there's a bit of the breakdown in what was communicated, and it may very well have been on the representative's end.

In most cases - once approved, the DMD chip is replaced for free, at least that's my experience with what people post here. I'm not in service, so I can't speak for exact service protocols.

But typically, they'll replace the part that needs replacing. ANY ADDITIONAL issues would not be covered outside of the white dot repair, and might then include a trip charge or parts and labor for those other issues.

Keep me posted.

zredthunder

If you would, post your transaction number here, and I'll see if I can have your case reviewed.

--HDTech
- Collapse -
What about the black dots??

I have the same issue only dots are black. When I first called in about this was told it would be fixed and tech assigned called me next day to say Samsung would only fix white dot issue. After speaking to authorized company Samsung contracted for repair the tech stated that it is the same chip that causes both problems and they don't know why Samsung will only replace it for white dots. Can someone at this company explain this?

- Collapse -
White dot issue

Please help/review my case

Model# T5075 S DLP
Serial# AHDY3CMPA02386Y
Transaction# 2114430896

- Collapse -
This discussion is very outdated.
- Collapse -
TV Fixed!

Samsung tech came today & fixed in 10 minutes! White dot gone at no cost! Not bad since I called them last night.

- Collapse -
Free DMD chip repair

Been dealing with white dot issue for a while. Called Samsung today because if this post and sure enough they are sending a tech out. She did say that if the DMD chip doesn't fix the issue that I will have to pay for what fixes the issue. She said it is a "one time" free service. Sounds good to me. I will let everyone know what happens.

- Collapse -

I have also been calling Samsung numerous times and they keep telling me that they can't fix it for free because my tv is out of warranty. The white/black dots are starting to drive me crazy and I would appreciate any help I can get.

My transaction number is 2109034725

- Collapse -

BigWhitey,

- Collapse -
Samsung DLP stuck mirror issue

I also have issues with the stuck mirrors, or white spots on the screen. Samsung support told me the same story that I would be responsible for all the repairs since it is out of warranty. I highly disagree with this since it seems this is a very wide spread problem and that sub standard parts were used during manufacturing. My case number is 2109189164. If I cannot get this resolved, I have no choice but to junk the TV in a few months once it becomes unviewable. I'm certain that parts + labor will quickly reach the price of a replacement LCD TV. No point in pouring money into something that may only last a couple more years. I'm hoping Samsung might step up and make it right.

- Collapse -
Will Samsung do the right thing and correct DLP TV white dot

I have been trying to get my Samsung DLP TV fixed now for one week without resolution. Samsung will repair some TV's free of charge will others are left with the option of a costly bill or worse losing their TV just to by a new more expensive TV. Samsung please step up and do the right thing and repair my TV. I purchased it with a 2 year warranty and have had it for about 2 1/2 years now, just to have it fail right after the warranty expired. Case # 2109102941

- Collapse -
White Dot

Like so many others, I am now plagued by the infamous white dots. I was told, when I called Customer Service a few minutes ago, that Samsung is aware of the problem, it was caused by a bad batch of chips that went into 4 models of theirs as well as other manufacturers having the same issue with that particular chip, and Samsung offered a free fix to the models that batch went into (didn't tell me which models). Guess who doesn't have one of those mysterious models? Judging by the comments on the Web (try UTUBE - over 28,000 if you total up all the views), it appears almost everyone including me. When I inquired why so many people are having the issue who don't have the models covered I was told he (the Customer Service Rep) didn't know. Polite but unbudging - not on the list,not covered. He did give me a number to call for my area which should be able to estimate my repair cost (how do they have this information if it isn't a common problem?) and an email address for that company (company name: Williston Park TV). My transaction number is: 2109202366.
If you have read some of the comments about Samsung and the frustration people have toward the brand because of this issue all I can say is count me in - total up all those negative opinions and that about sums up the attitude I am now experiencing. Now I am suspicious of all Samsung products. Instead of feeling good about my purchase (which I did when it worked well) I now fee abandoned by Samsung and stuck with a 3 year old, $2000 lemon. I am not ranting or raving - doesn't do any good and I don't need to feel angry, too - but I will reverse my opinion about Samsung, pass the word to my firends, business and fraternal orgainization networks and contact the AG office in my state all in an attempt to have the company, Samsung, take responsibility for what seems to be a common problem/defect which they are trying to dodge. For a consumer company that relys on a good name and reputation for sales, this will take its toll. Luckily for many consumers, other companies out there are stepping up and keeping their customers happy... and, now, I will be looking elsewhere.
Very dissappointed.

- Collapse -
White Dot

cmac_25,

- Collapse -
White Dot Issue Not Allways Supported

I to fall in the the pit of "your set is not on the list" then, as mentioned above, the folks in tech support tell me they are powerless to do anything. FRUSTRATING!

Here's what is what makes no sense... I even asked the guy if this was normal wear and tear and he said "no". That the chip should last the life of the tv BUT, I can't get my set fixed because it is not on the list.... this is not fair. I didn't go to some bulk store and buy a low cost value engineered set, I bought a SAMSUNG set that was almost $3k and now, stuck with a giant paper weight.

If this isn't supposed to happen, this should be covered on ALL sets.

Please help

- Collapse -
Sorry to ask but did you?

Did you try the new system noted above?

- Collapse -

Are they not the same people who answer the 800 tech support line?

I will certainly try it if you think it will help.

- Collapse -
Please try.

As to who they are, I think you would have to ask them. My advice is to keep trying.
Bob

- Collapse -

uperk,

- Collapse -

Out of warranty or not, this is a known defect. Samsung should step up to the plate and correct the problem since it is not a normal wearable item. This is a part defect due to poor workmanship or design. I don't mind paying for wearable items, but when a company admits they have a problem and then isolate the problem to just a few models or time frame to save dollars that sucks for the outliers. I have the same problem that they cover on similar models despite warranty but since tech support hasn't seen as many calls on my unit, I and a lot of other folks are screwed because we trusted in the Samsung brand.

- Collapse -
Repairs

(Ref my earlier post: cmac_25 dated 9/23) I cannot say whether anyone else will be given this opportunity but, following the advice of HDTech, went to the system given in the link and have been advised Samsung will replace the DMD chip at no charge. I will be charged for trip and repairs should the DMD chip not be the problem (highly unlikely) but Samsung is doing the right thing and I am grateful for that.
My unit was/is out of warranty but Samsung has stepped up to a problem that is not "normal" wear and tear or casued by mal use - it is inherent to a suspected part default.
So, try the link and see what happens. And a BIG THANK YOU to HDTech for providing the information. He/she has done Samsung a great service and helped restore a customers good will toward the company.
I will tell all my friends.

- Collapse -
Black dots since fix is the same why not fix it????

I have the same issue only dots are black. When I first called in about this was told it would be fixed and tech assigned called me next day to say Samsung would only fix white dot issue. After speaking to authorized company Samsung contracted for repair the tech stated that it is the same chip that causes both problems and they don't know why Samsung will only replace it for white dots. Can someone at this company explain this?

- Collapse -
Tech Support

How long does it usually take for someone to respond going through this channel? I submitted a request for assistance three (3) days ago and have yet to hear anything. Not even an email or message saying they received my inquiry.

- Collapse -
Tech Support

uperk,

- Collapse -
Tech Support

I am still waiting for them to call me back.... this is great customer service....

- Collapse -
Tech Support

uperk,

- Collapse -
Tech Support

I sent it in again for the third time... hopefully the third times a charm.... but not holding my breath.

CNET Forums

Forum Info