Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Fear of flying: choosing the safest planes to fly

hello there, i'll be flying soon but i've always had a huge fear of flying, i do admit that i am somewhat of a coward when it comes to hights, i've never been on a roller coaster and never will, and i'm also terrified of the tremendous push, sound and feel of an aircraft engine attached to a constantly wobbling wing and the sheer gravity force from sudden drops in attitude, plunges and worst of all, AIR Turbulences...these have haunted me for the past decade of my life even though i haven't flown in years and years, i'm a big fan of airplanes and also an avid player of most Microsoft flight simulators, but i'm just horrified, absolutely horrified at the thought of my plane crashing even back when i was on a plane, the thought never escaped me and every second my heart was pounding and sweating cold, due to circumstances i must fly, and i'm abit of a spot as i cannot decide whether to choose an old 4 engine boeing 747 or the much newer 777-300ER.

the 777 airframes were built i believe at around the 97's, while the 747 was at around the 1980s. my main concern for aircraft safety would be the age of the airframes themselves and number of engines.

the 777, despite having a much newer airframe and flies much faster, yet it only has 2 engines, so what happens when one goes out?

the 747 has a combination of 4 engines, but to this day i can still recall the horrifying smell and that awful, dreadful rumbling and cracking inside a violently buckling cabin of the 20 year old frame when we flew right into a ******* snow storm and i remember seeing a sunny day instantly turning into utter darkness with distant small flashes of gray outside.

in short what would you recommend as the safer aircraft with least chances of crashing? thank you so much for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fear of flying: choosing the safest planes to fly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fear of flying: choosing the safest planes to fly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do some math....how long will the flight be

In reply to: Fear of flying: choosing the safest planes to fly

Check some statistics here.

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

With about 4 fatalities per million flight hours, calculate the chances that you'll be added to these. You're going to have a lot of 0s to the right of the decimal point.

Collapse -
Drugs...

Take a valium right before boarding. I've also heard hypnosis works.

I know it's a cliche, but you are in much greater danger on the drive to the airport than you'll ever be on the flight itself.

Collapse -
The bigger the better

Bigger planes generally give a smoother ride. Although seating my be cramped on consumer flights, the planes are still bigger inside and look more spacious and sturdy.

I can't say that from experience, only having flown a couple of times myself. But if I were flying and had a choice, then I would go with the 747 400 or similar, or even the Airbus A380 if it is available yet in the US.

However if you are going somewhere specifically on a definite date, your choice of airplane may be limited to what the airline offers.

Mark

Collapse -
If fear is the factor

Go with Boeing planes, they are quieter. The McDonnel Douglas allow you to hear the air rushing past outside. That's been my experience.

Collapse -
What me worry...

The only "fear of flying" left is what'll be next thing they'll charge a fee for. Anything else is 2ndary, IMHO. I think they'll charge for flotation devices if they could, maybe even the air cups that drop.

Sorry, but it has come to that. So any fear of actually flying pretty much is left to God's own determination of having a "bad day" at your expense. Got insurance? -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.