General discussion

FDISK - Thank you -How can I crack a BIOS password?

I did the fdisk command at the A prompt and tried several scenarios. The end result..an error message "No drives found" and I read a "Disk configuration error message as the many message scrolled by. FInally, I took out the boot disk, pressed and held down the CTRL key to see if I could boot into safe mode (Win 9Cool and instead of booting into safe mode, the message "Missing Operating System" appeared. I went into the BIOS so I could boot to the CDROM and the previous owner put a password on the BIOS. Does anyone know how to crack a password on the BIOS?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: FDISK - Thank you -How can I crack a BIOS password?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: FDISK - Thank you -How can I crack a BIOS password?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:FDISK - Thank you -How can I crack a BIOS password?

you can pull the cosmos battery that may work

- Collapse -
First, Remove the Battery and Second, Remove Jumper

If removing battery does not solve problem, get a magnifying glass and start looking on the mother board for any letters that may suggest password. When found, remove that jumper and leave it off.

If you cannot find that password jumper, then remove any jumper and try to boot. If still cannot boot, replace that jumper and remove another one. Keep repeating process until password jumper has been found/removed. Make sure to remember correctly where each removed jumper goes or you will have a dead computer.

- Collapse -

look closely at the jumpers on your motherboard (if you have or can download the manual, that makes it much easier) and try and find one marked CMOS clear, or some variant of it. If it's a 2-pin jumper with a cap on it, pull it, turn on power, turn it off, and reinstall the jumper cap. That should do it. (if it *doesn't* have a cap, install one to discharge the cmos. I haven't seen too many of those, though.)

(actually, I misspoke, you shouldn't be poking around with the power on anyway, especially on ATX systems- to avoid damage, pull the power cord before changing memory or any cards, since soft-off often will *not* kill power to those areas! New boards are finally coming with little LED's to remind you of this, but many haven't got any indicators)

If it's a 3-pin header with a cap on 2 pins, power down, move the jumper to cover the center and previously open pin, then move it back. If this doesn't do it, do the same, but briefly power on the system before moving it back. this should clear 99%+ of the boards out there.

One final trick I got from Gigabyte when my GA-7VAXP's CMOS became read-only is to power down, then remove the battery for 48 hours (yep, 2 days) before reinstalling the battery and trying the system again.

Also, any of these that work *will* dump time, hard drive, and any other BIOS settings for the whole CMOS, and reset everything back to 'factory default'. Good luck!

- Collapse -

I recently had a similar problem with a friends BIOS.. I discovered that he had a visus that had infected and protected itself within the BIOS.. I tried many ways to update or disable the BIOS [disable and return to default by removing battery for 5 minutes] But still it needed a password.. eventualy we had to repace the motherboard.. as the BIOS virus would not allow any interferance with the software... [try the battery removal first though]

CNET Forums

Forum Info