HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

? Fdisk and then???

by shonyung / April 8, 2010 5:15 AM PDT

Given Presario C500 without hard drive,had Vista originally. Installed Samsung drive HM160HI. Friend?, installed xp pro OS. Later while installing programs, I would get " cannot complete installation because invalid windows system". For a short while could go on-line but performance declined, then couldn't connect with usb modem, dial-up or cable modem. Looked at system properties and saw "error" for Sierra wireless adapter, Wan miniport, realtek ethernet NIC, cricket USB wireless adapter, AVG miniport driver and network controller. Also have numerous Status "Degraded" on drivers,netbios,proxies,protocols,translaters,classifiers and more.
Should I FDisk and try loading Vista???
Any comments or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks from missed the computer by a generation.....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: ? Fdisk and then???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: ? Fdisk and then???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not too many options with an invalid copy of XP
by Steven Haninger / April 8, 2010 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: ? Fdisk and then???

About all I can recommend is to remove all partitions and start over with an OS meant for that system. If it has a product ID sticker and you have the Vista recovery software, that would be easiest. If you don't have the disks, you could contact the manufacturer to see if they are available for purchase.

Collapse -
I'd get back to the stock OS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2010 5:34 AM PDT
In reply to: ? Fdisk and then???

The clue here is "Later while installing programs, I would get " cannot complete installation because invalid windows system""

That's typical of a bad Windows install and not fixable by most. This is where I give the following advice.

Call HP and order the restore media for this machine. It usually runs about 35 bucks and will restore the machine to a supportable condition with all the right drivers that you have learned are next to impossible for those that support you to find and get working.

Get and use the restore media.
Bob

Collapse -
Many Thanks
by shonyung / April 8, 2010 7:31 AM PDT

Thanks for the sugggestions guys I appreciate your help, unfortunately
the recovery kit is no available from HP because it's 4 years old. Is it standard for a company to discontinue service after only 4 years or
is that the average life span of laptops?? If not what brand would you recommend?
Once again,
Thanks,
Shaun

Collapse -
Actually.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2010 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Many Thanks

Five years is the designed life of most consumer electronics. But you only lost the OS so given you can pick up Windows 7 for not much compared to a new laptop why not do that?
Bob

Collapse -
win7
by shonyung / April 8, 2010 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Actually.

Thanks again will try win7

Tc

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.