Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

fde.dll

Hello, I had run Tweaknow on my window xp, SP2 and in the Unknown area there are 3 entries which show up. I had recently had a trojan on my system and I believe it has been cleared out. Tweaknow indicates that these entries are:

fde.dll - by googling it - one site indicated this is part of a trojan while other sites indicate you can download fde.dll. Confused - what to do?

Also shown were a deskpan.dll and recncl.dll. In Google, the recncl.dll was shown as a part of excel.

Any suggestions as to if all 3 should be deleted and by doing so (if these dlls are necessary parts of my system) how would I go about reinstalling clean versions.

As always, appreciate your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: fde.dll
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: fde.dll
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
seems harmless...

In reply to: fde.dll

I have under:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\fde.dll

Under the properties, it says under Internal Name, 'Folder Redirection Snapin'. Company Name Microsoft Corporation.

Check yours for the same info and location.
If different, then probably not 'official'

Collapse -
Well...

In reply to: fde.dll

deskpan.dll is fine...it's an entry for a dynamic link library from Microsoft used for adjusting the display. TweakNow always reports it as unknown...just ignore it.

fdl.dll can be one of two things...a Microsoft DLL dealing with folder options OR an indication of the trojan Win32.StartPage.ix. Thus, sharing the path of the entry would be helpful, and it wouldn't hurt to run a virus scan, just in case.

A search on recncl.dll turned up very few entries, but they indicate it's associated with Microsoft Office. The strange part is I don't see the file anywhere on my system, and I have the full version of MS Office 2003 Professional installed. Since there's no indication it's associated with malware you can leave it, or see what happens if you delete it. (Remember, RegCleaner has the Restore option from the main screen in case a problem arises.)

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Hi John

In reply to: Well...

Thank you AGAIN for your "layman" interputation - do appreciate having simple to read advice.

I have done virus scans using avast and housecalls with nothing showing up on either. Is it possible to just do a virus scan on the win32.startup? If so - how would one go about doing that.

I would like to first run the virus scan and then do the regcleaner deletion - just in case I run into another problem.

Take care.

Collapse -
Well...

In reply to: Hi John

Most scanners have the option of letting you scan a single file or folder as opposed to your whole system. (It's one feature I can't live without, as I scan everything I download before installing and don't want to wait for over an hour for a complete system scan when i know everything else is clean.) However, I can't think of any good ones off hand that let you scan just the registry for possible signs of infection. Also, Win32.StartPage.ix is the name of a trojan...to scan for it you'd have to do a full system scan. Now, since Trojan Hunter Guard came up clean, fdl.dll is most likely the good-old Microsoft file that gives you nothing to worry about. Thus, I'd just ignore those three dlls. (You can try removing recncl.dll if you want, just to see if it's necessary, but you don't have to.)

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
In appreciation for your help - from my world to yours

Why Computers Sometimes Crash! By Dr. Seuss.

If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, and the bus is interrupted at a very last resort, and the access of the memory makes your floppy disk abort, then the socket packet pocket has an error to report?If your cursor finds a menu item followed by a dash, and the double-clicking icon puts your window in the trash, and your data is corrupted cause the index doesn't hash, then your situation's hopeless and your system's gonna crash!

If the label on the cable on the table at your house, says the network is connected to the button on your mouse, but your packets want to tunnel to another protocol, that's repeatedly rejected by the printer down the hall......

And your screen is all distorted by the side effects of gauss, so your icons in the window are as wavy as a souse; then you may as well reboot and go out with a bang, 'cuz sure as I'm a poet, the sucker's gonna hang. When the copy on your floppy's getting sloppy in the disk, and the macro code instructions is causing unnecessary risk, then you'll have to flash the memory and you'll want to RAM your ROM, and then quickly turn off the computer and be sure to tell your Mom! Well, that certainly clears things up for me. How about you?

Collapse -
A little Later

Hello again - have downloaded 30 day trial of Trojan Hunter Guard and it appears I do NOT have trojans within my system.

I again ran Tweak and removed the fdl.dll only to find when I tried to run my help and support on the internet - my system temporarily froze up. Went back to tweak and reinstalled the dll and all went running smoothly.

This is definitely turning the old locks grey. Will await your answers to my previous notation. Take care.

Collapse -
Interesting twist....

In reply to: A little Later

I have a very similar problem as Colleen. However, here is the twist - Tweaknow shows this dll, but a search of my hard disk, and the C:\WINDOWS\system32 folder, does not find this file. What gives?

JT

Collapse -
The file isn't there...

In reply to: Interesting twist....

TweakNow only scans the system registry, not your hard drive, for things that are safe to delete. It detected a registry entry that makes reference to the DLL, which is evidently no longer present on your system. You can delete the registry entry if you like, then if you have a problem use TweakNow's RegCleaner to restore it.

Hope this helps,
John

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.