Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

General discussion

Fax Via Computer

Dec 4, 2008 7:24PM PST

Hi,
Mubeen here.
i havn't fax machine. i want use my computer as a fax sending machine. is it posible

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Re: fax via computer
Dec 5, 2008 12:58AM PST

Yes, that's possible. All you need: a scanner, a fax modem (dial-up, not adsl or cable) and fax software.

Fax software is built into Windows XP, but Microsoft left it out from Vista, so you'll have to buy a program then.

Kees

- Collapse -
Fax via computer
Dec 5, 2008 6:15PM PST

Hi,
but i havn't fax modem. i have WiMax internet connection.

- Collapse -
Faxing . . .
Dec 5, 2008 9:48PM PST

needs a modem. Do you have a land line (telephone)? If so you will have to buy a modem. It's as simple as that.

An option is eFax (Google it). But it's not free.

Since you still didn't tell us your operating system . . .

- Collapse -
Faxing
Dec 6, 2008 11:15AM PST

my OS is Win XP.

- Collapse -
Ok, but nothing's changed . . .
Dec 6, 2008 11:49AM PST

You need dial tone to FAX.

XP has Fax service built in but you have to install it in Control Panel, Add/Remove, Add/Remove Components, FAX.

- Collapse -
Fax from and to my computer
Feb 24, 2009 2:50AM PST

I have Windows Vista and would like set up to send and receive faxes in my computer

- Collapse -
Not all versions of Vista can fax.
Feb 24, 2009 4:53AM PST
- Collapse -
Re: Fax Via Computer
Mar 7, 2009 7:48AM PST

It is absolutely possible and you have several options for sending a computer fax. If you have the right hardware (like an old phone modem) you can do it straight through that. However, many people don't have that kind of old hardware any more. But there are online fax services that will allow you to do it. Most of them have a very low monthly fee - some offer free trials. There are even a couple of free services that will let you do it - but they usually embed ads on your cover page. For more info about computer faxing and online fax services, check out http://computerfaxing.org