General discussion

fax sounds coming through my cell phone?

Mar 23, 2004 1:04PM PST

Hi everyone,
I am having a huge problem with my cell phone and no one, not even my cell phone company, seems to have an answer. Here's the situation...

Last Friday I started having a lot of problems with scrambling/fax-like sounds on my phone. I can't hear the weird sounds (the sound just goes silent when this happens) but the person on the other end of the phone can hear it. Apparently it sounds awful and it's very loud. This sound disrupts almost all my calls that last more than a minute or two. So if I am having a long conversation, the other person has to hang up on me when the noise starts and keep calling and calling... in the course of a 30 minute conversation on Sunday, my brother probably called me about 7 times.

I contacted my wireless company and they said it must be my phone. They looked at my phone, changed it back to the original settings and said give it a try. They told me that if it didn't work, to file an insurance claim and get a new phone.

The awful noise continued to occur and today I called the insurance company and they are sending me a new phone. The BIG problem is that I went in to get a loaner phone from my wireless company today, a different model and everything, and the problem is STILL occurring!

I called customer service again and they still don't know what the heck is going on. I'm so frustrated - I have spent 4 hours since yesterday dealing with this! I lose almost all my calls now due to this obnoxious noise.

I asked the customer service guy if it might be someone trying to fax my cell phone number. He thought that would be strange because no number shows up on my call waiting when it happens, but thought it COULD be from a computer fax. He didn't sound too certain, though. I also think this would be strange because nothing weird happens when I'm NOT on the phone, only when I'm making or receiving a call. He suggested that I change my phone number.

I'm getting really frustrated and am wondering if there is a metal plate in my head or if an alien spaceship landed on my roof or something that would be causing this to happen. It is just so weird.

Anyone have ANY ideas? Any suggestions? I would really appreciate it! I don't want to change my phone number unless they are pretty sure it's going to make the noise go away, but they really don't know anything. This is driving me CRAZY!!! HELP!!!

Thanks!!!
Jahds

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: fax sounds coming through my cell phone?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: fax sounds coming through my cell phone?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:fax sounds coming through my cell phone?
Apr 5, 2004 1:02AM PDT

This should be escalated to the Tier 2 division of Customer Service's 611 department.

Note the date, time and place of those calls and have your service provider's 611 techs check your call records. There are things that they can see that customer service isn't aware of.

If they won't direct you to 611, ask to speak with a supervisor.

- Collapse -
Is your phone Bluetooth enabled?
Mar 4, 2008 10:09AM PST

Is it possible a neighbor has searched for Bluetooth devices and found your phone and is now sending faxes from his PC through your phone via Bluetooth?
I don't know if it would be possible if your phone conversation had started prior to that occuring. But, my hardwired modem was not recognizing the dialtone of my landline. So I set my modem to do a blind dial (without dial tone)and had to turn on the phone then send the fax which would act as a dialer, then after the fax tones started recognizing eachother the fax would be sent. If a phone conversation had started prior to that then that is exactly the same thing we would have experienced.

- Collapse -
fax sounds on cell phone.
Jul 31, 2015 4:06AM PDT

I have this exact same problem. It use to be that only I could hear it. But over time now both my husband and myself can hear it and it seems to only be when he and I are on the phone. I actually have started to believe that it's some kind of wiretap.

- Collapse -
Fax sounds on cell phone
Oct 8, 2015 5:24PM PDT

The same thing has been happening to me for three years.
I've been at home, in the grocery store, on the road from Connecticut to California and still the noisy interruption follows. I have change phones and cell phone carriers but the noise seems to persist. If someone has an answer, I'm all ears!

- Collapse -
Fax sounds on my cell phone... Murder?
Oct 23, 2015 9:02PM PDT

I have experienced this same fax like noise on my phone... My sister died in 2006 and my mom died this year 2015. I found my mother and I truly believe she died because she was murdered. Although they ruled it accidental overdose. Strange events happened the day she died. Her door locks were changed the day she died. Missing life insurance policies, and all her jewelry was missing... I believe my sister was done the same way... Now I live in fear thinking the same will happen to me... My mother left a note stating I was in danger and her as well...I'm so upset and I am looking for answers...

- Collapse -
Try this
Nov 13, 2015 4:33AM PST

Check to make sure TTY is turned off (Settings > Phone > TTY) - Had a customer with this same problem and this appeared to fix the issue. Been over 2 weeks now since he heard that sound

- Collapse -
I'm giving this a try
Dec 21, 2015 12:19PM PST

This probably has been driving me crazy for the last year. I am hoping this fixes it once and for all. Thanks for the suggestion! I will update this with my findings.

- Collapse -
Strange fax sounds on my phone
Dec 7, 2016 8:00PM PST

This same exact thing is happening to me except for I hear the noise after about 30 seconds into a phone call it doesn't affect anything I'm doing but I feel like my phone line is tapped and I don't know who would waste their time to tap my line, i'm the only person who can hear this ugly fax sound the other person on the phone has no idea what I'm talking about and thinks I'm crazy I have yet to find out what this is I kind of just came to the conclusion that the cops or FBI are tracking my phone and I have no idea why

- Collapse -
Results
Jul 8, 2017 7:18PM PDT

The fac like machine that your are hearing is someone recording your conversation through a computer! I am currently having the same problem for that past 8 years and it came out to be a known individual! Please go to your local authorities and report thag your phone is hacked and allow them to test your phone!

- Collapse -
Confused about fax sounds
Jul 11, 2017 12:19AM PDT

So my boyfriend has been in trouble with the police recently. Sometimes when I call him the tone that I hear sounds like a fax machine.. It may ring one or two times like that then the ring will be normal. He has went and bought new phones and changed Numbers. I feel like one of the two phones is tapped..I dont understand why my phone would get tapped. But I've never changed my number...is it possible, I could be tapped so the police can keep up with him?

- Collapse -
Results reply1
Feb 13, 2018 11:56AM PST

Hello Results. it know your post is old but I am just now finding it. the police around here don't take those types of complaints. I have tried and also issued complaint about the music store stealing information off my usb. he advised me to use usb to purchase music rather than putting it on cd...I gave him the wrong usb and he stole data from it. the police say "you cant prove data theft from usb" and told me to get over it!
crime that work in Detroit MI

- Collapse -
Fax Sound when Dialing 911
Feb 13, 2018 11:53AM PST

Strange that I experience the same issue but ONLY WHEN DIALING 911. this issue has been ongoing for 4 years. finally, a few days ago after having a warehouse of old cell phones because I replaced the phone thinking it was the phones fault, I called my cell phone provider...he said "it sounds a bit fishy" and it all of a sudden STOPPED. the problem is, I called 911 on the day my father died...3 times because we couldn't hear each other due to the fax sounds. my dad died...so who ever did this killed a person playing these wiretapping games. I would have issued complaints about wire tapping and even to the state rep in this area Brenda Lawrence and was made a joke by her receptions. they don't care who they hurt!

- Collapse -
Fax sound coming through my landline. Bought a few phones.
Aug 25, 2018 2:53PM PDT

I have a high pitched loud Fax sound coming through my landline. Bought a few phones and they all have the same sound, I can hardly make a call. ATT sent 4 technicians even as soon as I installed the service up till 4 days ago, and they heard the sound but still say the line is clear and it is my phone, the same answer every time.
I work from home and it is killing my income. I went from $1500 to $200 per fortnight, does anyone have a resolve for this?

- Collapse -
Fax Machine Sound on Iphone
Mar 16, 2019 2:23AM PDT

I’m having the same problem for years now that has a loud disturbing fax machine noise on phone. My personal opinion is the government and cia has special devices and spy equipment that they can ease drop and listen in to whoever they want too.. The sound I think is when they are breaking through your network to get into your phone. There is no privacy anymore and it’s illegal.

- Collapse -
Really ??
Mar 16, 2019 2:15PM PDT

Do you realize how crazy this post sounds ?? Laugh

- Collapse -
Pun much?
Mar 16, 2019 2:44PM PDT

For years most think it's a bad phone or a bad connection. Didn't think the gov and cia would go after our members.

- Collapse -
Sound through my cell phone?
Oct 7, 2019 6:43PM PDT

Tonight for the first time I ever experienced something like this on my cell phone! I was talking to my husband and it sounded like static and a loud pitch noice coming through my cell phone like someone was trying to get through the frequency or like someone was changing a radio station and I asked my husband if he could hear anything and he said no he couldn’t hear anything but me but I couldn’t hear him! I heard foot steps on the stairs like someone was walking up the stairs and it’s just myself and my 2 year old grandson who was next to me and I go to look to see if my cats were playing on the stairs and they were no where near the stairs! My parents just moved to this house and I’m here watching the house till they get back from California and this house burned down once before and was rebuilt. We were told no one died in this house but I have a feeling someone has died and it’s freaking me out!

- Collapse -
do you....
Oct 7, 2019 7:23PM PDT

....wear a hearing aid?

- Collapse -
Troubleshooting suggestion
Oct 8, 2019 12:29AM PDT

I used to work for At&t customer service and would occasionally get this type of call. We would forward this type of call to Tier II tech and ask the customer to mention crosstalk issues to the technician. Basic customer service doesn't have the resources to help much.

Post was last edited on October 8, 2019 12:33 AM PDT

- Collapse -
Fax sounds coming from my phone just started today
Nov 27, 2019 8:55AM PST

I had been having problems with my computer's and my internet even my TV for the past 4 years it makes me feel like somebody's inside of it looking at me they be sending me some weird things on my telephone through YouTube and Pinterest and then just out of nowhere texts telling me to go pick up packages. Today I heard a fax machine and some static while I was on the telephone with my cousin and she couldn't hear anything we think the phone is tapped by the police that's about the only thing we can think of these issues have got so far to where I taken my computer to the school made them clear it I've called Xfinity they came and rewired all my wires to the pole outside and changed my modem this has gone as far as someone on my computer keeps on messing with my essays I'm typing out , like placing my cursor somewhere else where it starts typing a whole different area takes me forever to type out an essay up to the point to where I cant even turn in anything because it will erase it all like 7-8 pages . Even just right now I replied to this message and when I got to the end it erased it and I got kicked out of this whole conversation I just got back in and retyped it. the whole thing is just really weird I'm so frustrated and it makes me sound like a crazy lunatic when I explained what's going on.

- Collapse -
Re: essays
Nov 27, 2019 9:05AM PST

Disconnect from Internet (just turn off the modem) while typing your essays, and nobody can come in to harass you.

When typing in this forum, of course, you can't be offline. Then copy the contents of what you type to the clipboard once in a while ( ctlr-a, then ctrl-c). When something happens then, you can just paste the most recent version back.

Post was last edited on November 27, 2019 9:07 AM PST

CNET Forums

Forum Info