Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Fax safer than email?

by volvogirl / November 22, 2009 8:55 AM PST

Hi,

My 71 year old friend who knows nothing about computers, technology, etc but still works in investing wants an all in one printer with fax because he heard that if someone emails you a document it sits on the server till you get it and anyone can look at it. So he wants to fax to be more secure. Anyone hear of this theory or what he's talking about?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fax safer than email?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fax safer than email?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
In theory I suppose it is true
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 22, 2009 8:02 PM PST
In reply to: Fax safer than email?

Email is just data held in a computer somewhere, and any data can be read with the right expertise. Even downloading an email does not entirely remove any threat as there will be remnants and/or copies somewhere.

Conspiracy theorists will suggest that security organisations, (FBI, CIA, MI5 or 6, etc), also scan all emails searching for keywords in their war against terrorists and such. That may be true, but it doesn't really concern me.

So, yes, emails are insecure. But there are billions of emails being transported around the internet every day, so unless your friend is engaged in some nefarious activity, I am not sure how worried he should be.

Fax is just data transported down telephone lines to a receiver. Data? Possibly that can be intercepted as well. I'm not sure.

Mark

Collapse -
Encrypt
by jeff_windows_team / November 24, 2009 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: Fax safer than email?

He may want to look into encrypting emails if he is that worried about it. Here is how it's done for Outlook-http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP012305361033.aspx

I'm guessing, as pointed out already, that the risk of someone spending the energy to look at them, if they even have the ability to do so, it minimal.

Collapse -
The problem with that is
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 24, 2009 6:57 PM PST
In reply to: Encrypt

both the sender and the receiver need to share the same Digital ID. I assume both users would need to be using Outlook 2007.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?