General discussion

Fax from PC to fax machine?

How I can send fax from my PC to a usual fax machine? And how much it wil cost me?

I am using P-4 celeron with XP.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Fax from PC to fax machine?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Fax from PC to fax machine?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
While it requires a faxmodem, why not XP's FAX?
- Collapse -
You might check out send2fax.com

You pay a five dollar setup fee and $1.95 a month. Then you put so much in the "bank" and when you send an email to fax the fee of fifteen cents a page is taken out of you "bank accouont".

- Collapse -
faxes useing a cable modem

I am looking for a fax program to use w/ xp home.
we have not installed a land line at the house.
I do have a broadband connection.
Any suggestions would be great

- Collapse -
That only works if..

You receiving fax machine is on the internet. While Winfax 10 does this trick, since you don't have a landline or VOIP, then you will have to pay for fax delivery via some intermediary. It's not cheap at abotu 25 cents per fax or page or plus tolls.

Do a little research on your own and you'll find such services.

Bob

- Collapse -
Free Online Recieve fax

Even though I have a fax machine, my fax number is from efax.com. The have a free and paid service. The free service assigns you and arbitrary fax numbers and forwards faxes to you as email. Its never busy and always asnswers. You can get up to 20 pages a month. More than I use. Thier premium service allows you to send faxes, have a local telephone number and other features for $10 a month plus page charges to send.
You have to dig a little to find the free service on thier site. As I recal you just sign up and about 2/3 of the way through you can pick the free service.
It has worked well for me for years. I did have to gt a new number a couple of years ago for Non use. Obviously no big deal since I usually have to tell anyone my fax number. It is not published.

- Collapse -
E-fax is only a trial . . .

This thread started me looking for a bullet-proof way to *receive* faxes on my PC via email.

I checked out e-fax.com and it looked good. However, a Google search turned up someone complaining that (1) he received a lot of (junk) fax/email advertisements (spam) via e-fax as a "hidden price" of the free service. Also, (2)the writer was disappointed that after several months he was told his service was being canceled unless he upgraded to the paid service.

Now I just did read on e-fax's web site that the free service is just a trial. After 30 days, regular eFax rates will apply.

Still, it's a great idea to receive free faxes via email. It saves the hassle of maintaining a fax machine for the few business associates who still use them. I'm going to keep looking.

- Collapse -
There is a free efax, (no $)

Here is the link for the FREE service.
https://www.efax.com/en/efax/twa/signupFree

There are alot of working throught to get here. and it looks like you are signing up for full service until it asks you which kind pick No local phone and limited faxes (20 per month). I do get about an ad a week from efax.

No problem for a free, never busy, always there, fax line. Another advantage that is huge for me is that since it comes in email, I can save it. Using Outlook I just change the subject to reflect what the fax is and stash it wherever I want.

I have had my current free account for about a year and half. I had a bunch of multi page documents one month and they suggested I upgrade. I did not and have not had that kind of activity again and have been fine since.
Gaddy

- Collapse -
efax

they still ask for $ at a monthly rate . Where is it free?

- Collapse -
Amazing. You are so right

Nitting, zilch, thank youHappy

- Collapse -
Rightfax

My company uses a program called RightFax. It works like a printer, but sends a fax to the number you give it. I believe you still have to have a fax line to be able to do it...that's all I know.

- Collapse -
I use FaxTalk Communicator

I've used FaxTalk Communicator for almost 10 years. It does requires a modem. I have it on a PC running Windows 98. My original copy was bundled with a modem card, but I upgraded to 4.5 soon after that. It is now at version 7 which (I believe) supports all Windows from 98 to XP. Version 7 is around $80 USD. (Add the cost of a modem card if you need one.)

I have been very happy using it as my answering machine for both phone and fax (the PC is on 24/7). I really like that there is no paper unless I want to print a fax.
Hope This Helps,
Roger

- Collapse -
Virtual fax services (e-mail to fax & fax to e-mail)

Hi

I also used to use fax software and modems for many years but have now moved to a virtual fax service from aql.com. One of the main benifits for me is I now have a dedicated number to put on my business cards (rather than have the modem doing the Voice/fax answer thing) and I can keep the number when I move.

These two links explain it well:
http://aql.com/telecoms/site/email2fax.php
http://aql.com/telecoms/site/fax2email.php

P.S.:

- Collapse -
working of PC with a usual fax machine

I am using P-4 with windows XP operating system and i want to send message from my PC to fax machine placed away from me. what are the changes i should make to work my pc with the fax machine, and what are the hardwares and softwares to be required.

- Collapse -
Just checking.

Your question is answered in the replies above. It appears these didn't make sense to you or you would not have asked again.

Try this. Ask ONE QUESTION about the ONE THING you didn't understand.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info