General discussion

Fax Application

Hi,

I am looking for a basic application program that allows me to use our XP Professional computer to receive and send faxes. We live in France and our normal fax machine receives lots of spam faxes which means when we need to use the machine, the cartridge needs replacing!!

We have tried a few programs (Phone Tools - which doesn't run under XP, Win Fax Expert and others which send faxes but we cant get to receive. Judging by comments on the web site of the writer we are not the only one!) Most programs seem to be for marketing purposes, sending copies to multiple addresses. We just want a standard fax machine application!

Help please!! PS If the application (Freeware, Shareware or Commercial) is available in French for my wife, so much the better!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Fax Application
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Fax Application
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Did you try XP's Fax?

Using Fax - in Help and Support is pretty good at describing the native application that comes with XP. Typically, you set it up with a modem and a phone line. It works just like a stand alone fax, allowing you to send, receive, store and manipulate fax images.

When you install Fax, it's help is more extensive and probably answers all your questions.

Bob

- Collapse -
Fax Application

Thanks Bob,

Yes my wife did try the XP fax but couildnt get that to receive either! We have an ACER Aspire computer with a modem that appears to be on a few lists of not being compatible with their software. We have updated the driver, but that didnt change anything. We are thinking of disabling the inbuilt modem and using a branded external modem. We have broadband/ADSL which we could use if there is an appropriate fax software.

Regards

Keith

- Collapse -
Sorry, but that may be the problem.

I'd get another faxmodem. If the unit is under warranty, ask them to fix it.

If XP's fax doesn't work, I would not be trying other fax software in hope it would work.

Bob

- Collapse -
Which software you are using?

I just google it and find many software, it is hard to make up my mind to choose one:

Joyfax Server? Fax Server Pro? or GFI faxmaker?

Thank you.

- Collapse -
2897 days I was using the bundled fax software.

That was 8 years ago so the only comment I can add is the spammers always add JoyFax even if they are just a shill. This is not a title I would go near due to the spammers.

Also, since most all in one's do fax today I have yet to use anything other than what the fax printer software that came with the printer.
Bob

- Collapse -
You probably know MS is pulling the plug on XP

Come April MS is going to pull the plug on the last remnants of XP support, so maybe you should upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 and use the built in Windows Fax and Scan program in that.
`
Good luck.

CNET Forums

Forum Info