made in the United Kingdom and therefore
operates on a different frequency than
the United States-made fax machines.

I am trying to find out whether or not
the frequency can be tweaked to allow
this machine to run in the US.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fax
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fax
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Fax
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 2:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Fax

I think I have the US version. I gave that big black box away years ago, but there was some hidden setup keys and menus in the machine. Since I never found a manual, I was barely able to change much about it. But if it is possible, then dig out the manual or maybe google.

BTW, the fax tones are international. I've sent faxes to machines overseas with that model. I can't say the same for dial tone. As such, maybe you can change it from touchtone to rotary dial.

Bob

Collapse -
by jdw / August 23, 2004 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Fax

I used it in Italy but still had to hot wire the
phone and the fax wiring both on the machine and
in the wall.

Now, I have a DSL connection so that's out of the
question.

I can actually HEAR the fax in the background when
someone is trying to send a fax or when I try to send
a fax. So, I know it is possible to tweak it.

Exactly how, I still don't know. I called a local
'expert' on fax machines and they emphatically said
'no', the frequencies are different in the two
countries so it can't be done.

Thoughts?

Do you know anything about REN numbers?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2004 1:40 PM PDT

What can I write. I've sent faxes overseas to many countries. While dialing tones did vary, faxing is another story.

The new information you noted about DSL is something you shouldn't leave out. The FAX machine may not like being on DSL. The "filter" is required and may cause a fax machine to not work. Even though it should work.

My Canon 80 was years old when I gave it away. So my bet is that yours may be a decade or more old?

Time to move on?

Bob

Collapse -
by jdw / August 23, 2004 3:16 PM PDT

Fraid so. This old horse 'z seen better days.
Giddy up.

Collapse -
Ringer Equivalence Number
by holtnr / August 25, 2004 2:00 AM PDT

REN = Ringer Equivalence Number. The bare number actually means amperes. The sum of the REN's of all the phones on a single circuit must not exceed the rating of the phone line lest none of the phones ring due to insufficient current available to actuate the ringer mechanism. I have heard 4.0 stated as the MAX per line, but that may be company or line specific.

Collapse -
REN NUmbers
by keithsplace / March 1, 2009 10:11 AM PST

The REN numbers are the posted on every Telephono device such as Phones, FAX machines, FAX modem, PC modem, etc.. It will be labled on the device somewhere, usually the bottom or near the tele chord connection as in REN Or ring equivalence 1.0 or .02..
IT basicly means to measure how much current it takes to triger or ring the device... Older phones and FAX's usually took more to ring.
As I have found out by using one of the new magic Jack phones... Basicly an IP phone that uses broadband connection to make a phone jack... but it lacks ring power to ring my FAX machine because it's REN is 1.0... But it makes calls and sends fax's.. I bought a newer chordless phone with a REN of .08 and it rings fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.