PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Favorite HDD Brand?

by ilikerhinos / June 10, 2014 7:31 AM PDT

Well aware about preaching to the choir here, but what's your brand of choice for HDD?
i.e.: SeaGate, Western Digital, other?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Favorite HDD Brand?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Favorite HDD Brand?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The other is Seagate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Favorite HDD Brand?
Collapse -
looking for reliability
by ilikerhinos / June 10, 2014 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: The other is Seagate.

over performance.
Going to use it as a backup drive, preferably 2-4TB. Already got the RAID1+0 setup, just to be sure thinking a backup drive would be best.

The reason for having it internal is so I don't lose it. Taking a guess, about 5 WD passports have been lost at college, around the apartment, friends houses, etc.

Checking into those links right now. A friend had a Hitachi that they accidentally dropped down a set of stairs, laptop HDD mind you, and it still worked perfectly, with only minor dents.

Collapse -
Asking the wrong person I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 8:01 AM PDT

I find such to be unreliable. All it takes is a power outage at the wrong split second and the drive can seem to lose it all. Since this is not a maker specific issue we know that no drive or storage today is stone cold reliable.

Non-operating shock values are often in the 100G range.
I'd stick to the lists I noted.
Bob

Collapse -
Internal?
by Bob__B / June 10, 2014 8:16 AM PDT

Forget it......that things a duck.

A failure in the machine and your backup device is dead.
Pick up a bug and your backup device is dead.

I won't say never but I'm very reluctant to connect my backup devices with windows active.

Collapse -
depends
by porsche10x / June 28, 2014 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Internal?

I would suggest that using an internal drive is a great idea... as long as it's not the only backup:)

Collapse -
(NT) Hmm....not the question asked.
by VAPCMD / June 28, 2014 12:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
PS. I got my son this 4TB unit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 8:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
probably getting that soon
by ilikerhinos / June 10, 2014 3:43 PM PDT

glad you shared the link to that 4TB, read more good reviews about that. Got another idea too. How's this sound?
Case- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001H0BA24/?tag=pcpapi-20
Intel Pentium G3220, ATI Radeon HD6770, MSI H81I, & 64GB SSD.

The estimated power is right at 200W based of the hardware specs. PSU is for 250W, should be enough room with 50W to spare?

Debating if I should throw in an MSI Radeon 5450 (20W) or keep the energy-thirsty ATI 6770 (110W)..

Collapse -
Sorry I can't advise that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2014 4:13 PM PDT

Because I want trouble free operation, when I estimate power I fit a PSU 2 times the estimate.
I know folk that run at max or near max.
Bob

Collapse -
what about adding
by ilikerhinos / June 11, 2014 3:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
That and the 5450 are low power favorites.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2014 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: what about adding

But in most desktops we can get a bigger PSU for same bucks and keep the nice fast GPU.
Bob

Collapse -
than there's this
by itsdigger / June 11, 2014 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: what about adding
Collapse -
I haven't tried the new model yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2014 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: than there's this

But it may be time.

Collapse -
I put one
by itsdigger / June 11, 2014 4:52 AM PDT

in a Dell 531s last week and it runs great with the original 250 watt psu.

Digger

Collapse -
Seagate and Samsung
by QuantumPCSupport / June 18, 2014 9:01 PM PDT

In my life i used two brands. They Seagate and Samsung. Longevity of a electronic goods varies. So good brand may gives you poor performance and a less reputed brand can give you satisfactory result.

Collapse -
Western Digital
by Zouch / June 27, 2014 7:24 PM PDT

I've had over time WD, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi but as Bob says there are now only two or 3 actual manufacturers.

For reliability, I'd go with WD Red, which are designed for NAS and SAN devices. Second best WD Black. Avoid WD Green if your primary aim is reliability and not environmentally friendly - whatever that means.

For general purpose, WD Blue is OK.

But since your primary concern is reliability, DON'T just rely on your RAID - you still need at least two independent backups, in secure fireproof safes (plural).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?