HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

FavIcons?

by Walt H / October 9, 2009 11:22 PM PDT

Running Win Vista Home Premium on Desktop Computer.

Some of my favicons remain whether I clean the cache or not. But some favicons do not appear even when I have more than one link within the same website, example: I have a Favorites folder called CNet with various different forums for quick access to a particular forum. Only one CNet link (CNet Win Vista forum) maintains the favicon, ALL the rest use the GENERIC IE icon. Even when I clean the cache the CNet Win Vista icon stays.

This same behavior is displayed throughout other Favorites as well. I would like to keep all my FavIcons but it seems they are randomly selected as to which are kept and which are Generic.

P.S. I have a Laptop running Win XP SP2 which does NOT have this issue at all. All of my FavIcons are intact always.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FavIcons?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FavIcons?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forgot to mention
by Walt H / October 9, 2009 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: FavIcons?

I have IE 8 (same version) on both Dekstop and Laptop.

Collapse -
maybe a little help ...
by scott_789 / October 18, 2009 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: FavIcons?

I don't usually use IE but it's not surprising that some of them remain after cleaning the cache. Using IE's tool to clean its cache doesn't actually remove everything. I'm not sure why or what it doesn't remove, but you need something like CCleaner to remove all traces of browsing history, which includes the cache, cookies, and the like.

It is odd, however, that you'd get different results on with the same version on Vista and WinXP, but IE is known to have weak support for favicons.

If you like getting all the favicons back after cleaning you could use AM-Deadlink. It's a great little freeware app that checks your favorites (and/or bookmarks) for dead links but can also be used just to get all the favicons. http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm

Note to any Firefox users: AM-Deadlink doesn't support Firefox's new bookmarks format but there is a work-around guide (written by me Happy ) here: http://www.aignes.info/blog/?p=329

Oh Walt, you said: "P.S. I have a Laptop running Win XP SP2 ..." - I hope you mean Service Pack 3 instead
_

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.