PC Applications forum

General discussion

Favicons

by Amos16 / April 28, 2005 5:12 AM PDT

Hi - my favicons file has gone missing. I remember vaguely that there was one Web site that had them for free and one, of some educational institution, that sold them. Can anyone direct me to the free one? Or tell me how to create one out of the Favorites icons that are still there? TIA, Amos.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Favicons
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Favicons
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) FavOrg
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Favicons
Collapse -
FavOrg
by Amos16 / April 28, 2005 5:59 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) FavOrg

is no longer freeware since it has been taken over by PCMag and they charge for it. By reading some of the related discussions I found that even if I get it, the previous program (favicon.ico) may no longer work under my present configuration: IE6 and SP2. So it would be wasted money. Can I have your input on that? Thanks. Amos

Collapse -
Re: FavOrg
by Tufenuf / April 28, 2005 8:26 PM PDT
In reply to: FavOrg

Amos16, You can download "FavOrg 1.2" for Free at the link below. It's in the right column under "PC Magazine Utilities". It will work with all versions of Windows & Internet Explorer.

http://www.dothan.k12.al.us/vault/

Tufenuf

Collapse -
If you research what FavOrg does...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2005 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: FavOrg

You would understand the issue and how it works plus... how any old version fixes it.

-> You do realize that Favicons was a demo feature and not implemented in IE 6?

Bob

Collapse -
It does work
by Amos16 / April 29, 2005 12:53 AM PDT

Hi there - I used the link given by Tufenuf, it downloaded well and for some obscure reason it does work: my Favorites column looks as of old. Thank you all, Tufenuf, Glenn30 and Bob; it really made my day. Amos.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.