General discussion

Faulting application explorer.exe

Windows XP SP3
Dell XPS 600 3.0 ghz Plentiun D
250 gb Hard drive

For the past several weeks whenever I open Windows it shows desktop but no taskbar or start menu.

I can navigate system or internet because I use a dock. However the start menu in the dock will not function.

Hard shut down and restart brings taskbar and start back to system.

Event viewer shows the following message: Faulting application explorer.exe Version 6.0.2900.5512..Faulting module shdocvw.dll Version 6.0.2900.6003 Fault address 0x00018004

Have scanned system with Avira antivirus,Malwarebytes Super antispyware, Panda antirootkit,and Spyware Terminator all results are returned negative.

Search result found shdocvw.dll in windows\system32 but also in numerous kb updates the latest being on 8/10/10

Google does not offer much help nor does Microsoft.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Faulting application explorer.exe
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Faulting application explorer.exe
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Explorer issues.

Unlikely to be what I think, my but first thought with Explorer issues is always some corrupt file that Explorer is trying to render to display, eg an image or video file.

I say it's unlikely in your case because Explorer allows your Desktop to display and it is the Desktop where such files may be held, or their shortcuts.

But then my next consideration is IE problems. IE, Explorer, My Computer, My Documents, (etc), are all inter-related, and what affects one may affect all. If IE has any bad or corrupted Add-ons installed, it is possible that this could spill over into Explorer. I would open IE, goto Tools > Internet Options, then the Advanced tab, and hit the Reset button to remove all add-ons and return IE to default. However if you decide to try that, be aware that this may delete all favorites, cookies, history, and any logins and passwords that IE has saved.

If that fails, then I would look at a corrupt profile. Do you have another Admin capable account you could try? If not, create one, (make sure it is an Admin account), and see if the problems disappear or are still present. If the Desktop and Taskbar displays properly and there are no other problems when you log into Windows in this account, then it may be that your own account profile is corrupted.

The good news in that case is that Microsoft has a fix for that;
How to copy data from a corrupted profile to a new profile in Windows XP.

Good luck.

Mark

- Collapse -
Followed instruction

Hi Mark

I followed your instruction and reset IE to default

As I never use IE6 for anything but updates I had no problem in allowing it to clear everything.

Rebooted a couple of times with no problems. As this is intermittent only time will tell.
Happened on 9/27-10/6- and twice on 10/8

From the event log the event happened after a Avira antivir start up on every occasion
I thought that was suspicious even though Avira updating scanning and guard not showing any problems.

If I have to change the admin account how important is it to copy the old one to the new

Thanks
Ray

CNET Forums

Forum Info