General discussion

fatal system error

-hello = my main computer which runs XP came up with the BSOD saying "STOP c0000 21a (Faatal System Error). The session Manager Initialization System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a. The system has been shut down". I was removing some recent security updates, because IE8 has been plagued with recurring popups of Search and I had to uninstall SP3 so
that I could remove IE8 (and then reinstall both).I tried every
method I know to restart the system including Safe Mode and reverting to when the system worked (also from Safe Mode). But it keeps shutting itself down, right after showing the Windows starting screen. Any idea what can be done? Thanks - Amos

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: fatal system error
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: fatal system error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
1 problem, 1 idea.

1. Your post has few details. Just the crash and the popups. But if the machine can't be booted at all isn't entirely clear. I can't tell if there is a heat issue (pretty common on old machines that run XP) or if we can use Grif's advice.

2. I can't tell if you can use this -> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7813_102-0.html?messageID=3290628&tag=commProfileMain;profileBot#3290628

There are some words shown when you post. Well maybe not. Here they are in case your machine doesn't show them -> Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Bob

- Collapse -
BSOD

Bob really sorry. the darn laptop is so unstable that I keep to minimum. Desk computer 160 GB XP,SP3 recently added. 1GB memory. IE8 which had the annoying popup.Grif's advice is what got me in hotwater in the first place. Thelaptop refused todowhat he advised. So decided to undo all I had added over last fortnight.including SP3 and IE8. No overheating:three fans and heat control. Happened as I tried uninstall some security updates. Don't know which. and cannot find out.Grateful any suggestion -Amos Popup descibed on previous thread.

- Collapse -
At that old.

The make, model and details are still eluding me. I can't find the make, model, age, what OS CDs we have and while you claim no heat issue the symptoms and the spyware symptoms are there.

What many learned is that Service Packs tended to expose malware issues by turning the machine into a crash heap.
Bob

- Collapse -
old?i

Almost the only old thing about it is the casing.New mobo by American Megatrends,Vintage XP,but Retail bought direct in Ireland. Pentium processor one year old . NO PARTicularmake Assembled by a repuitable shop .IMHO it must be some sort of software problem, possibly I was trying to remove an irremovable security update, But am looking for an answer by someone wiser, SStill hoping, Amos

- Collapse -
But am looking for an answer by someone wiser

with replies like this, you are just alienating yourself from getting anymore assistance.
On that note; Bob is correct, sounds like a virus of sorts has attacked your system. Either that, or you've gone and deleted an important system file, and now the O/S won't boot properly.

B.

- Collapse -
Given only that much detail.

You can google XP REPAIR INSTALL and if you have no files to lose that's a good idea to try. Next is to wipe out, start over and next time don't let the pests onto the machine.
Bob

- Collapse -
bsod

Bob,you know from past years how much I ppreciate your knowledge and your help. I was certinly not trying tobe cheeky, justdesperate. I just backed up the whole caboodle last week, so your solution may be the answer. Shall try it later in the day. Amos.

- Collapse -
I'm sorry.

I have so little detail that I'm left with few repair options. Maybe you can dive into the event viewer, try google with more error messages and see what it turns up.

But XP machines are now sprouting more and more errors. The reason is simple. The machines are aging and between the five year design problem and that most don't know about this -> http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html not to mention malware the error presented has the problem of "my car won't start" which has how many causes?

I'll use the clues that are given and try my best. I understand that many don't want to dig deep or can't so we get to start over and hope the malware or such is gone.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you

Bob, as many times in the past your reply has saved the day, and I have the computer back. I also read the piece about XP being attacked by viruses, dust, heat, etc. This really is not the case here. I have taken almost all the measures outlined there to prevent this, and some that are not listed, such as keeping the computer in a relatively dust-free environment without too many temperature changes. Besides, the oldest component in it, apart from XP itself and the casing, is 18 months old: the power converter. I am considering WIN 7 but from what I read there are still many details to be ironed out in it; at present my intention is to wait another year. Again thanks, the repair succeded. Amos

- Collapse -
I missed it.

What fixed this?

- Collapse -
Your advice to google repair installation

I had a slipstreamed XP Pro disk with SP2, made the BIOS change, and there it was. Maybe I should have found it without help, but I have reached an age where even things I knew quite well in the past sometimes elude me now. Considering the alternative... life is not bad. And with a little help from my friends it is better still. Keep up the good work - Amos.

CNET Forums

Forum Info