Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Fatal Exception

by Patricia / July 15, 2005 4:39 AM PDT

Win.98se on PC. AVG free. Zone Alarm. Sympatico DSL.

Today I got the blue screen. Here's what it said:

Fatal exception OE.......at 0028:CO1193AC in VXD AVG Core (01) + 0008593C.

Rebooting just brought up the same screen. Finally I shut off everything and pulled the plug, then let it "rest" for 10 minutes. The booting went normally and I did a scan disk before plugging DSL back in, and, obviously I'm here.

I was in Opera, at the time, and accessing this forum, CNET newbies. After rebooting, I opened my pop up stopper and went into IE to make this post. Normally I don't use IE.

Any idea what is wrong and what I should do about it?

Thanks.

Pat

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fatal Exception
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fatal Exception
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See
by Cursorcowboy / July 16, 2005 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Fatal Exception
Collapse -
Error
by Patricia / July 16, 2005 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: See

Thanks for the reply. Here is what happened.

When trying to scan with Trend Micro as suggested in the link you gave me, I received this message part way through the scan:

"Trend Micro did not update successfully. It may result from busy server or bad network traffic.
Error code 58
Error string Active update was unable to create/delete/overwrite files in the destination folder.
Please contact Trend Micro Techmical Support.
Do you want to retry?"

Another message popped up saying:
"House calls detects a corrupted pattern/engine file (VPTNFILE*) Please remove the corresponding files and restart House Call again"

Also when booting up today, the computer started with the C prompt. After a bit, a screen came up asking how you want to start, and gave choices of safe mode, normal, etc. I, of course, chose normal and the rebooted to the normal mode.

Wow! It looks like I have a real problem. What do you suggest and what is that V file they mention. Is it something I should delete, or will that make things worse?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Pat

Collapse -
Error
by Patricia / July 16, 2005 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Error

I found the file. Here is the data:
Vptnfile 927 C/Windows, size 4,087, type 927 file, modified 08/21/2001.

I guess the "modified" date must have been a Windows update?????

My computer was purchased in March,1999, so that modification must have been an update.

Pat

Collapse -
Sounds like 'u've been had.
by Cursorcowboy / July 16, 2005 9:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Error

1. You may experience any one or more of the following symptoms when deceptive software such as spyware or unauthorized adware is installed on the system, [Q827315]:

? When you start your computer, or when your computer has been idle for many minutes, your Internet browser opens to display Web site advertisements.

? When you use your browser to view Web sites, other instances of your browser open to display Web site advertisements.

? Your Web browser's home page unexpectedly changes.

? Web pages are unexpectedly added to your Favorites folder.

? New toolbars are unexpectedly added to your Web browser.

? You cannot start a program.

? When you click a link in a program, the link does not work.

? Your Web browser suddenly closes or stops responding.

? It takes a much longer time to start or to resume your computer.

? Components of Windows or other programs no longer work.

WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated. In addition, if you've never been through an eradication process, you're in for a surprise.

2. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

3. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below. And note, there may be enough intrusion to cause all kinds of frustration in getting these programs to install and then clean a system. If there is a huge amount of cleaning to perform, limit the amount removed at one time and run the program again. If the programs don't install correctly the first time, uninstall from the Add/Remove applet in the Control Panel and install again.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well as Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program. In fact, this is the very first thing I would do anyway.

Caveat: Problems connecting? Try the "Computer Cops" site and find the files in question.

a. "Housecall."

Note: If Housecalls doesn't run for whatever reason, you might as well abort and go to the next and try this site later.

b. "Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

c. Spybot S&D:

Note: Receiving an error "SO Exploit: . . ." (data source object) caused by the active secutity setting "Download unsigned ActiveX controls", it could be set to "Disable" or "Prompt" or ignore the produced error.

d. "CWShredder v2.14."

e. "McAfee AVERT Stinger."

f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

CAVEAT: Read the precaution concerning the subject of "Hijack-This.NET" at the official Web site by Merlin.org.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal", and the Viruses and Security Alerts Forum moderator's message concerning "HiJackThis log postings." In addition, you may find the site "Help2Go" informative concerning certain problematic items and receive recommendations but use their suggestions with caution or else. . .

4. If there is later problems with IE then download and use "IEFix" - a general purpose fix for Internet Explorer (Win 98/ME/2000/XP), which performs certain actions explained at the Web site, among which it:

a. Registers Urlmon.dll, Mshtml.dll, Actxprxy.dll, Oleaut32.dll, Shell32.dll, Shdocvw.dll, [Q281679].

b. Refreshes Internet Explorer using IE.INF method. Note:

? "Unable to Install Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP (Q304872)"

? "How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)"

c. Initiates "SFC /Scannow" (Win2K&XP), [Q310747].

5. The article [Q320454] discusses and contains information about the "Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" tool (MBSA) (click to see a screen shot) that centrally scans Windows-based computers for common security misconfigurations and generates a "report" (click to see an example).

6. "ShieldsUP" is the Internet's quickest, most popular, reliable, most powerful, complete and trusted free online Internet security checkup and information service where at this site you can check your system for vulnerability and begin learning about using the Internet safely.

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "Setting Up Security Zones."

b. "Chapter 27 - Security Zones."

c. "Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2."

d. "Basic Spyware, Trojan And Virus Removal."

e. "Removal Instructions for . . ." is a helpful site that will be helpful in your learning more.

Collapse -
Error.
by Patricia / July 17, 2005 2:26 AM PDT

Thanks cowboy. I realize now that my computer hasn't been acting normally since DSL was installed. Due to my ill health, my daughter did the installation for me, and, unfortunately, kept getting passed on from one incompetant tech support person to another at Sympatico.

I remember some time Grif telling me, when I had to upgrade from IE 5, that I should go to 5.5 and not 6, as it was buggy. One of the techs at Sympatico told her she had to upgrade to IE6. They also told her to uninstall my AVG. (She put it back)

When we eventually managed to get logged on, many changes had been made.

Regarding spyware, I do run SpyBot, ZA, AVG, but had trouble with AdAware, so, with difficulty, uninstalled it. I don't use IE, but use Opera. I use Internet Sweeper as the pop up stopper when I absolutely have to go into IE, but only as a pop up stopper. I don't like outside programs doing maintenance. Marianna recommended this little program a year or so ago, and it has worked well.

My e-mail is Netscape Messenger. I have the old Netscale 4.7, and as I don't use it anymore, I prefer not to update it. It's there just for the e-mail.

Right now, I think my first step will be to update Windows. Maybe that will do a "fix"?

In the past, it has always been when I make some change to something that problems occur. If I'd stayed on dial-up, I wouldn't be having this problem.

Thanks again. If I can't get on line, I'll check this site from my daughters' computer.

Pat

Collapse -
Fixed, maybe?
by Patricia / July 18, 2005 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Error.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?