Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Fatal Error 2753 during install of HP printer

by strawberryy77 / September 18, 2009 2:37 AM PDT

I am running 32bit SP2 Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron 530. I have an HP all-in-one J6450 printer connected wirelessly and have had several problems with the software. In trying to resolve some printer problems at the moment I have uninstalled the printer(on the advice of HP support) and in trying to do a clean install keep getting a Fatal Error 2753. HP support has said this is a registry problem and some files are not being completely removed during uninstall. I have done a level 3 uninstall. This printer has worked fine in the past (with the computer/wireless). It works great as a copier/FAX. But I continually have problems with the software in conjunction with the computer. Does anyone have a clue of how to fix this Error 2753? The following is the info from HP support on the error.
[Error 2753 is a critical Windows error and is caused by a corrupt registry entry that should be repaired immediately to prevent further corruption in other applications and/or hardware. Risks include hardware failure, blue screen errors and fatal crashes.
Error 2753 symptoms include program lock ups, shut down or start up problems, slow pc performance, sluggish behaviour, screen freeze, beeping sounds, problems opening documents as well as issues during software installation]
One of their (HP) fixes recommends a download of a RegCure program. I include the link here http://simple-pc-help.com/support/error_2753.html?t202id=8844&t202kw=error%202753&gclid=COiLovC0_poCFcxM5QodpEAJdw
This is a "free" scan that then wants you to purchase their product. I t looked to me as if it was a MS download. In looking around the internet I found some not good things being said about it. If it would work I'd be tempted. Have been trying to fix this problem since July and have had good response from HP support via email but nothing is working!!! Thank you for any help you can give me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fatal Error 2753 during install of HP printer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fatal Error 2753 during install of HP printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: error 2753
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2009 3:18 AM PDT

It doesn't look like a HP site. It doesn't look like a Microsoft site. And I don't think that Microsoft would agree that a certain Tony Kwon, if he was a Microsoft employee, would show up here as "technical support Microsoft" and recommend Regcure.

I wasn't surprised at all when Google found the following links:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic172429.html (search for Kwon)
http://simple-pc-help.com/support/tony-kwon%27s-ugly-face.html (that's a very nice one, be SURE to have a look!)
http://simple-pc-help.com/support/runtime_9.html?t202id=1198&t202kw=runtime%20error%209&gclid=CJPMj5K705QCFQ7sXgodCzeEkA
http://dll-repair-now.com/advice/msvcr80.dll.html?t202id=8147&t202kw=%25252B%27msvcr80.dll&gclid=CIKr_YSOrZQCFQUNIgodElfWtA

Need I say more?

Kees

Collapse -
Tony who?
by strawberryy77 / September 18, 2009 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: error 2753
Collapse -
Could you provide some more info.
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2009 4:33 AM PDT

You mention "info from HP support". Is that somewhere on the web? Can you provide a link?

And you say that one of the HP fixes recommends Regcure and links to this site. I find it hard to believe that any HP page/site or any HP tech would provide such a link to a site as suspect as that (I won't say 'scam site', because that would look as an official CNet opinion, which it isn't, so 'suspect' will have to do) that apparently only consists a few months.
Can you tell us the source for that?

If it's true (which I can't believe at the moment) it casts serious doubts on the quality of HP's tech support.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Error 2753
by strawberryy77 / September 18, 2009 5:34 AM PDT

As I stated in my original post all the "help" I've gotten has been from HP Support via email. Yes, an HP tech support person, that would be Sam or Norm has been sending me detailed emails in response to my problem. One of the emails included the link I included in my original post. It is called HP Total Care. I would be glad if you would read all the emails I have gotten from HP. They are very long so I hesitate to include one here. I am at my wits end with this Error 2753. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Collapse -
It really would be interesting ...
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2009 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Error 2753

to read the mail with that particular link to a third-party possible scam site. Just copy it to your next post. No problem if it is long.

Kees

Collapse -
You asked for it.
by strawberryy77 / September 18, 2009 5:54 AM PDT

I did not include their gobbledygook at the end of the email.

Hello Marianne,

Thank you for your reply.

I am Norman B from HP Email technical support team.

From your issue description and the subsequent e-mail, I understand that you get fatal error 2753.

I appreciate your valuable efforts in resolving issues. I realize your concern regarding this issue and I will give you an appropriate solution for it.

Marianne, to resolve this issue I request you to visit the web link given below and follow the instructions mentioned in the document.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01049086&jumpid=ot_recdoc/c01016940/en_us/c01049086/loc:2&custom_solutionid=rd_c01016940&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

NOTE: Clicking the link may give an error indicating it is invalid. If this occurs, copy the portion of the address on the remaining line(s) and paste it at the end of the address showing in your browser until the complete address is displayed in the address box.

If issue persists, I recommend you to download ''Error 2753 Repair Tool'' from the link provided below.

http://simple-pc-help.com/support/error_2753.html?t202id=8844&t202kw=error%202753&gclid=COiLovC0_poCFcxM5QodpEAJdw

NOTE: These are third-party repair solutions and HP cannot be held responsible for the effectiveness nor can HP guarantee the results.

If you need further assistance please reply to this message and we will be
happy to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site at: http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Have a nice time. Thank you for choosing HP

Sincerely,

Norman B

HP Total Care

Collapse -
That's interesting.
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2009 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: You asked for it.

If the solution in my post below (install the C6300 driver first) does NOT work, you should reply Norman that the program he recommends costs $29.95 to run in 'fix mode' and ask if he will pay it.

If you prefer not to try it yourself, mail him that link and ask him to find the details of that "ticket" in their database (they should have it) and try that same solution with you. That case also came after an uninstall, so it seems their advice to do that uninstall was, let me say, uninformed, which makes them responsible for fixing it.

If you try that solution yourself and it works, however, you send him the link below and suggest him he searches his own message boards first before googling and recommending an obvious scam site. And ask him for the email address of his supervisor so you can file a formal complaint.

It's nearly unbelievable.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: install error 2753
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2009 6:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Error 2753

The picture that emerges out of http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Install&message.id=6082 isn't very pleasant indeed.

But near the end a solution is mentioned for the same problem when installing a J6480. Not sure, of course, but it might very well work for your J6450 also. It's a rather curious solution: install another driver (for a C6300) first. Worth a try, I'd say, if everything else fails. That Mike was really lucky, to find a tech who could solve it in only 2.5 hours.

Kees

Collapse -
The case of the curious solution.
by strawberryy77 / September 18, 2009 2:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: install error 2753

Dear Kees,
Holy Cow! (In deference to our friendly HP support staff) I installed the driver for HP Photosmart C6300 basic drivers,ver12 and then the full install for mine(J6450) and OMG it worked! Thank you thank you thank you. You have no idea how grateful I am for this, albeit strange solution. I am overwhelmed. It took all of 20 minutes. I am still in shock! Thanks again, Marianne

Well I knew it could not last. My euphoria is slightly dampened as the original problem of the printer printing multiple pages is still here. Once it printed 14 before I stopped it. If you have any ideas for this let me know. At least I can print from my PC again. Ask me if I'll ever buy another HP product, I dare you.

Collapse -
Re: problem
by Kees Bakker / September 18, 2009 9:08 PM PDT

Back to Norman and HP Total Carelessness now, say the reinstallation of the driver didn't help (and be sure to let him now that his help with handling that was worthless!), so ask him if it could be a hardware issue. If you still have warranty, they have to fix that. If not, it might be time to replace the printer.

Your argument might be more convincing if you find another PC (friend, family, work maybe) to install that same driver and same printer and see what happens there. If it's the same there, it's surely the printer hardware.

If it's OK there, it's some strange thing in your computer. Can you tell more on the original problem then? If it isn't the printer driver, it could be the something in your OS (the spooler? malware?, malware induced damage?) or something in the PC hardware (USB port or its drivers).
Without knowing anything else ("printing multiple pages" isn't really clear, and you didn't tell anything about the contents of the printer status screen showing the queue) that's impossible to say.

So trying this printer elsewhere (and possibly another printer with your PC) must be the first step towards the solution.

Kees

Collapse -
Original printer problem
by strawberryy77 / October 6, 2009 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: problem

The printer was purchased Jan.16, 2009. It was installed (wireless) to a Dell Inspiron 530. 1st problem: HP Solution Center(software)would not open properly. It locked up and then would "crash". I would get "not responding" message in the task manager. Uninstalled/reinstalled the software. Seemed to be OK, still took a long time to open.
2nd problem: (early Feb) When printing from the computer(ie, document or website)the printer would continue to print copies, no matter how many were requested. (I tried to include a screen shot of the Print window and the queue window here but I can't copy/paste from the saved screen shot into this text box for some reason.)The print window shows 1(ONE)copy. The queue windows shows under the "Pages" column 3/1 . It just keeps printing and printing and printing....
The solution from HP Support was as follows.
Step 1: Refresh spooler
Step 2: Print direct to printer
Step 3: Print using alternet driver
Step 4: Uninstall the All-in-One software
Step 5: Reinstall the All-in-One software
After trying all the above with no luck I tried to reinstall and that's when I started getting the error 2753.
That's the story. I do not have access to another computer to try to install the printer on another PC to see if it does or does not work.
Unless I can find a real solution to this my next step is probably to return the printer. Anybody want to buy some ink? It has a exp. date of Oct. 2010. 2 paks each of color and black, unopened.
As always thank you very much for your attention and help.

Collapse -
Grrrrrr!!!! HP!!!!!!!!!
by TexasDad-55 / September 18, 2009 6:12 AM PDT

Installing HP printers is bloody hell sometimes.

Sometimes if installing while using USB then its a 50/50 shot and or you need to install via using device driver from control panel click on system then device manager.

Other times the cure all is to turn off pc and unplug power and juice the system out holding the power button down while it is unplugged then plug back in and power on then things can be ok.

I would like to see installs to be more reliable in the future.

Collapse -
Solution for HP driver install error 2753
by davidovp / November 9, 2009 2:07 PM PST
Collapse -
Solution for HP driver install error 2753 - Updated URL
by davidovp / December 11, 2009 5:11 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?