General discussion

FAT32 vs. NTFS

I have one machine I'm afraid to convert to XP Pro(I love it!) BUT! The server is running 2k Pro, all drives are NTFS. The data I need on the Win98 machine is now in NTFS, is there a way of accessing this from the WIN98 machine without having to make the drive FAT32? We're talking about 32Gb data. What a pain to wipe and restore. But, if there's no other way...
Please make your responses in a level that someone that knows enough to get himself into trouble - user friendly. I'm screwed works, just tell me that. Was on Microsoft's website, got very, VERY lost. Thought they might have an answer. ROFL!
Thanks, Tim

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: FAT32 vs. NTFS
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: FAT32 vs. NTFS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Fastest way? An external Fat32 USB hard disk.
- Collapse -
Across a network ...

you can access any files on a NTFS server on a Win98 machine running on FAT32 (or a Win95 machine running on FAT16). It's simply a non-existing problem.

Can you clarify your question?

Kees

CNET Forums

Forum Info