Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

FAT to NTFS Conversion

by spudnuts / March 20, 2004 1:19 PM PST

Hi, I have an external HDD of 120gb and I was wondering if a) there is any benefit in going to NTFS from FAT32 and b) will I lose any data already stored on it? I have a lot of big digital image files and a few have become corrupted of late. I'm running a Toshiba laptop with WinXP.
Thank you much
Spudnuts

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FAT to NTFS Conversion
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FAT to NTFS Conversion
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For what you want to do, no.
by Coryphaeus / March 20, 2004 2:40 PM PST
In reply to: FAT to NTFS Conversion

NTFS is more stable on the drive with the OS, but for a slave drive leave it like it is. To answer your question about losing data, the answer is yes if you convert. You have to format to convert.

Collapse -
''Converting'' to NTFS.
by Cursorcowboy / March 20, 2004 8:54 PM PST

The article [Q314097] explains that Windows XP supports two disk file systems: the file allocation table (FAT) file system and the NTFS file system. This article explains how to convert a FAT partition into an NTFS partition and discusses the considerations that you must take into account. [Q307881] describes how to convert a FAT16 or FAT32 volume to NTFS. Whereas, [Q314878] describes and lists the default values that Windows uses to format a volume. The article lists default values for both the NTFS file system and the file allocation table (FAT) file system.

Bill Gaston

Collapse -
Re:For what you want to do, no.
by mlshome / March 21, 2004 2:16 PM PST

I would like to remark on this fellows response. He is correct that NTFS is more stable,but not without it's own problems, just like other file systems. However, as regards losing data in conversion, I would disagree. We have converted all our drives from Fat32 to NTFS without a single file being lost. We have literally thousands of drafts, so we were concerned about losing data also.We used PartionMagic 8.0 to do the conversions. It was as simple as click, click, click...done. Then sit back and let PartionMagic do it's thing.

Collapse -
So, Just To Confirm
by spudnuts / March 21, 2004 7:42 PM PST

It is safe to convert my external HDD with files onboard? I am busy doing back-ups anyway, but it would be useful to know I don't have to empty the drive first. I'll check out Partition Magic and see what's what.
Thank you, much appreciated.

Collapse -
Yes you can convert without losing data but ....
by trytohelp / March 26, 2004 2:05 PM PST
In reply to: So, Just To Confirm

as with doing anything it is recommended to back up your stuff first. You don't need Partition Magic Windows will do it, I've done it, here is the instructions from Help and support.

To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
Open Command Prompt.
In the command prompt window, type
convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

Notes

To open command prompt, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.

Collapse -
Besides security there are many other benefits to NTFS...
by Edward ODaniel / March 21, 2004 2:06 AM PST

and conversion is safe and easy.

You open a command prompt and enter the command:

CONVERT drive: /FS:NTFS /V

With drive being the partition you want to convert and the /V indicating that you want verbose mode so you can see what is going on. You do NOT need the /V but I personally prefer using the verbose mode.

CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS [/V] will generally get you a message that it can't be converted as files are in use but will offer to do the conversion on the next boot. Other partitions such as your external drive and its partitions are much less likely to have to wait for a reboot and will convert immediately.

Collapse -
Just noticed your name/handle. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 26, 2004 9:57 PM PST

There was a doughnut shop in Lubbock, Texas in the fifties that made their doughnuts from potato flour. Great and different flavor. The name of the shop was Spudnuts. Are you from Lubbock and old enough to remember this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.