PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Fat 32 vs. NTFS

by skippyd333 / September 16, 2004 8:18 PM PDT

It is my understanding that in order to use fat32 your drive or partition can not be bigger than 32gigs?

Also, it is my understanding that if you use NTFS you cannot have a dual boot? Is this correct? Skip

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fat 32 vs. NTFS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fat 32 vs. NTFS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Fat 32 vs. NTFS
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2004 8:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Fat 32 vs. NTFS

"It is my understanding that in order to use fat32 your drive or partition can not be bigger than 32gigs?"

Untrue. But first, you posted in the HARDWARE FORUM and that's a SOFTWARE ISSUE!

To your issue, I used a Windows 98se boot disk to create a fat32 volume just recently because... the MP3 hard disk player was over 32GB and the player only understood FAT32.

"Also, it is my understanding that if you use NTFS you cannot have a dual boot? Is this correct? Skip"

That's untrue. I have a PC here with Windows 2000. It was set up all NTFS. I added another drive and then installed Linux on the other drive. I have a dual boot. Maybe you needed to tell what OS you needed to dual boot because.... if it was windows 98, then you couldn't run into the issue because 98 wouldn't install or create the NTFS volume.

Bob

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / September 17, 2004 12:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Fat 32 vs. NTFS

Thanks for your input. Your a great help. I thought I was in the right forum because I was talking about a harddrive issue. Isn't that hardware and not software? skip

Collapse -
Fat 32 vs. NTFS, dual boot and such is... software.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 12:30 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Fat 32 vs. NTFS, dual boot and such is... software.
by skippyd333 / September 17, 2004 1:13 AM PDT

I have a dual boot now. Again I partitioned my hd in half and put xp on both sides one for me and one for my wife. that way I can play and not screw up my wifes side if i try something new that screws things up. I save all my wanted stuff on my wifes drive of course. so I don't lose anything I want to keep. I have become an expert at formatting and reloading windows. all windows. I learn everything the hardway. Now I'm learning to edit and tweak my registry. so far I only have had to reinstall once trying to change the name of my start button. Its a bit tricky. skip

Collapse -
Re: Fat 32 vs. NTFS, dual boot and such is... software.
by Mark5019 / September 17, 2004 3:08 AM PDT

1 question you put xp on sep partion did u use 2 keys?
as i understand xp( at times i dont) after 28 days will need to activate it

Collapse -
Oh, you could help me!
by dwdawson / August 28, 2006 2:09 PM PDT

I am a musician who needs to run my music software (recording and Karaoke ) on a different version of Windows XP. I want to keep all my home software on my local disk C: and the "music" version of XP and my music software on an external firewire drive. I have a partiton formatted and ready, but recieved an error when I wanted to install it. It says "Your computers setup program cannot install XP on this HD. This is not necessarily an error..blah blah, it may need special software" or something like that. I cannot afford to have the version of XP get polluted by everything and have crashes during karaok gigs or while I am recording a song. Please help me out. This is a brand new dual processor HP laptop and I can configure anyway I want.
Thanks!

Collapse -
XP doesn't install to externals...
by linkit / August 28, 2006 3:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Oh, you could help me!

...except maybe to certain external SATA drives that connect to internal SATA controllers.

Collapse -
I found that our
by dwdawson / August 29, 2006 2:00 AM PDT

I cannot even boot to a firewire drive in the bios, but I can boot to a USB drive, which I found dumb.
I will partition magic the internal thatnks

Collapse -
by cgsmithjr / September 17, 2004 3:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes. XP mounts the 40 GB FAT32 just fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 3:48 AM PDT

Here's why I needed it. I have one of those Vosonic portable media readers so I don't lug around a laptop to download a memory card from the camera to the laptop or such. Here's one I own -> http://www.vosonic.co.uk/vp300.html

Some nice features is that it plays MP3s (which I haven't used...) and that it works on USB 1.1 as well as USB 2.0.

I found a firesale on a 40GB drive so that's why it got such a large drive. Nothing like doing such things to be able to answer some questions.

To prepare the drive, I used my 3.5 inch to notebook drive adapter, booted up a Win98se diskette and prepared the drive prior to adding it to the VP300.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Yes. XP mounts the 40 GB FAT32 just fine.
by cgsmithjr / September 17, 2004 5:02 AM PDT

Cool device, I want one! I was hoping to use it as an MP3 Player in my car, but with such short battery life I would have to plug into my cigarette lighter adapter. Might as well buy a new radio. I still want one though. Will let you know if I take the plunge. Seems to work well as storage device.

Chauncey

Collapse -
by cgsmithjr / September 17, 2004 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Fat 32 vs. NTFS

Skip,
Apparently, you're right regarding size restrictions for FAT. However, it seems it is possible to have a dual boot system using NTFS in a certain and inflexible configuration.

The following Microsoft Knowledge Base Article, discusses size limits in FAT and NTFS:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_tdrn.asp

The following Microsoft Knowledge Base Articles discuss the minutiae of dual booting with NTFS and FAT:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;243896

Chauncey

Collapse -
by skippyd333 / September 17, 2004 5:09 AM PDT

Thanks for your input. I knew I read about this somewhere skip

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?