Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

fat 32

by fren / September 30, 2005 1:39 AM PDT

Hello

Is it possible to fdisk and format the 528MB, 1.2GB, and 2.1GB as fat 32 and also install win 98se on it? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: fat 32
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: fat 32
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: fat 32

When FDISK runs, it will ask "Large Disk Support." Answer yes and it should be FAT32. If not you can use other tools like Linux's FDISK or PARTITION MAGIC.

But with these smaller hard disks, there is little benefit to FAT32.

Bob

Collapse -
fat32
by fren / September 30, 2005 1:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Try it.

Hello

you states that ''But with these smaller hard disks, there is little benefit to FAT32''. May I know what would be your suggestion on this so that I can safely install win98se on 528MB hard disk capacity. Please guide me on this matter...Thanks!

Collapse -
I can't tell you that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: fat32

But if 98 fits, it fits. As to how to install safely, what is safe about installing an OS? It's dangerous to files on the hard disks so that's not what you mean.

Explain this "safely" word you are using.

Bob

Collapse -
fat32
by fren / September 30, 2005 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I can't tell you that.

Hello

Sorry, but of course, everybody wants his moves to be certain. It's okay if you don't want to tell it to me. Thanks!

Collapse -
A definition is needed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 2:30 AM PDT

I can tell you that installing an OS is never safe. But that doesn't mean we don't stop.

As to Windows 98se. It's been over 7 years since this OS rolled out and 5 years since you could get a machine with it. Can I ask how you avoided installing this puppy in that many years?

Bob

Collapse -
fat32
by fren / September 30, 2005 3:30 AM PDT

yes, it's true but old computers like as I have mentioned before still exist. So what we need to do is repair it and use it again. Sorry but I think we cannot replace the old with a brand new computer due to financial problem. Thanks!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) This why we have Linux?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 3:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Okay, thanks for sharing your knowledge with me.
by fren / September 30, 2005 3:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Depending on the math . .
by Cursorcowboy / September 30, 2005 9:53 PM PDT

the only problem I see is possibly with the 528MB drive that may require FAT16 regardless. The FAT32 file system does not support drives that are smaller than 512 MB, [Q255867].

Collapse -
Yes it is possible.
by Edward ODaniel / October 1, 2005 2:15 PM PDT

The Windows 98 FDISK has an undocumented switch /FPRMT that prompts you for whether you want FAT16 or FAT32 and it will enable using FAT32 on smaller than 540 meg drives/partitions.

Win 98 only requires ~200 meg for an installation so you even have room on the smallest drive.

NOW, as Bob was getting at sometimes even if you can do something there are reasons why you should accept the default options.

Although you can have a smaller than 540 meg FAT32 partition the overhead makes it inefficient (just like you CAN format a floppy diskette as NTFS but with the overhead involved it is self defeating.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?