Cameras forum

General discussion

Fastest Shutter Speed

I think the delay between pressing the button and getting the picture is the worst part about digital cameras. I want a small, portable camera for snapshots with 3-6 MP.
Shutter speed is my most important factor.
What are the variables? A salesperson said that their are "high speed" memory cards available for Canon and Sony. True?
Does the size of the memory card matter?

Thanks for the tribal knowledge

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fastest Shutter Speed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fastest Shutter Speed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shutter Lag

In reply to: Fastest Shutter Speed

Several years ago, a shutter lag of over a second was common.

Now you can find digital cameras with a shutter lag of 0.1 second. And that is about as fast as it gets for now.

Here are some that reviewers have tested and reported to be 0.1 second:

Canon SD550, SD600
Casio Z50, Z55, Z750, S600
Sony M1

There may be more, but they have not be reviewed yet.

There are more cameras with a reported 0.2 second shutter lag:

Canon SD20, SD30, A430, A530, A540, A610, A620, SD450, SD430, SD630
Casio Z57, Z850
Kodak DX7440, DX7630, Z740, Z730
Sony F88, W1, P100, N1

There are high speed memory cards:
Compact Flash
SD
Memory Stick

A high speed memory card will not improve shutter lag.

A high speed memory card may or may not improve continuous shooting ability.

A high speed memory card may improve start-up time.
That is the time it takes from the time you turn on the camera until it is ready to take photos.

A large size memory card will likely increase start-up time, as most cameras check the card during start-up.

DSLR (digital single lens reflex) cameras get the most benefit from high speed memory cards. That is because the camera itself is faster.

Collapse -
Try this also...

In addition to what Snapshot2 said (which is true), make sure you do NOT have the red-eye reduction feature turned on. I absolutely hate that feature.

When the shutter is depressed, the camera will blink a stupid little light for a few moments and then FINALLY take the picture. If that feature is turned on, turning it off will make a world of difference for you. You may need to shoot with the camera in "P" mode instead of "Auto" mode in order to force this off. Depends on your camera.

Also, for a VERY small increase in speed, you might also consider doing what's called an AE-lock (auto exposure lock). Check your owner's manual to see if this feature is available on your camera. Basically, doing this will force the pre-flash to fire when you perform the AE-lock so the shutter won't have to wait for the pre-fire when you press the shutter release button. Honestly, the time savings is usually minuscule but I thought I would mention it. I find AE-lock to be much more useful for preventing blinking of the subject when taking snapshot portraits.

Collapse -
Oh, by the way...

What you're referring to is actually called "shutter lag" instead of "shutter speed."

Shutter Lag:
The time lag between pressing the button and the actuation of the shutter mechanism.

Shutter Speed:
The speed at which the shutter exposes the film (or sensor). This feature effects the camera's ability to "stop" or "freeze" action (we've all seen the bullet being shot through an apple). Maximum shutter speeds of 1/4000 or 1/8000 of a second are not terribly uncommon for DSLR cameras.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.