Cameras forum

Resolved Question

Fastest focus,, sharpest, quickest/or non-buffering camera?

by admcbride / January 3, 2012 1:45 AM PST

Hi folks,

I need a recommendation for a dslr at no more than $700. My current camera buffers every so often, holding things up as much as 45 seconds or so. The focus is not as quick as I would like. And, I want sharp, sharp, sharp. I understand these variables might be difficult to match on one camera, from what I have seen, especially at the cost, but I'm hoping someone has some good ideas. I'm lazy so go with automatic typically, therefore not overly concerned with a lot of adjustments. I will be purchasing a separate telephoto lense, so any any recommendations on a brand (can I go with other manuf's than who builds the camera?) Thanks so much...Amy

admcbride has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fastest focus,, sharpest, quickest/or non-buffering camera?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fastest focus,, sharpest, quickest/or non-buffering camera?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by admcbride

Collapse -
Tool

A camera is a tool, not a magic box. If you do not know how to use the tool, you will still get bad photos. In other words, you are asking too much from a camera. You need to learn how to use a DSLR if you are trying to shoot sports (which is what I am guessing you are wanting to do). Lazy and automatic won't cut the mustard.

That said, the fastest camera with the biggest buffer for the budget you have indicated is probably the Pentax K-r. It can shoot at close to six frames per second for up to 30 frames. Buffer clearing time would be approximately 12 seconds after those 30 shots. The only way to get faster is to spent significantly more money.

You can buy the K-r in a two lens kit that come with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses for under $800. However, brighter telephoto lenses are not common for Pentax cameras, so the kit is only good for daylight sports photos. Canon and Nikon cameras have many more lenses to choose from, but a bright telephoto lens would cost more than your entire budget.

Collapse -
Fastest focus,, sharpest, quickest/or non-buffering cam
by admcbride / January 17, 2012 2:13 AM PST
In reply to: Tool

Thanks for the information on the camera itself.

I would like to say I very much do know how to use a DSLR, have been doing beautiful portraiture, nature and other work for years and years. I don't do sports, nor high-speed shooting, except for squirmy kids. I make adjustments as necessary for the portrait lighting I am using. Quick focus, reduced buffer time and sharpness are the factors in my needing to upgrade at this point. I have experimented with very high-end DSLR's, and have truly found the quality I am getting, for my particular work now, to be pretty exceptional, based on the skills I have.

I wanted some input as to something just a step above, so I will definately check out the K-r!

Thanks for the info...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?