Linux forum

General discussion

Fastest and best looking Linux Distribution. (Elive)

by Aaronschamber / March 21, 2010 1:36 PM PDT

I am writing about a new Linux distro I have tried called Elive. It uses the enlightenment GUI and is based on the rock solid Debian linux.

Ok to get started it was a breeze to install. It's all graphical and just a few clicks you will have this OS up and running. It is by far the best looking Linux distro I have seen with amazing graphics. You can run this OS on a slower computer and run it with no problem and with super fast response time. I have been running elive just in memory with 512mb of ram on a live CD and it even runs faster than other distro's that are installed on a hard drive, not to mention even better looking. Lot's of packages installed and easy package management. I just wanted to say how much I love this OS and that anyone should give it a shot. Just run it as a live CD you have nothing to lose. It's awesome!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fastest and best looking Linux Distribution. (Elive)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fastest and best looking Linux Distribution. (Elive)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Elive
by Ray_moe / March 21, 2010 5:56 PM PDT

You forgot to mention!!!!

The cost of the Installer Module is a selectable value by the user, but the minimum is set to 15 $

Collapse -
It is possible to install E17 interface on other distributio
by GODhack / March 22, 2010 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Elive
Collapse -
What is an installer module?
by ahtoi / March 22, 2010 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Elive

Is that for commercial applications?

Collapse -
Module
by Ray_moe / March 22, 2010 10:30 AM PDT

Elive's installer has been developed from scratch. Now it supports a lot of extra features and the possibility to upgrade your old Elive system to a newer version.

The liveCD is only a demo of the possibilities Elive has to offer. Not all of features are on the live system. The installed system auto mounts USB keys, plays DVD's automatically and can even launch Windows CD's!... Install Elive if you want to benefit from all the features in the best conditions.

Collapse -
Performance is dependent also upon other factors..
by white-bread / March 22, 2010 2:40 PM PDT

Such as CPU type- not brand, memory, loaded components, hard drive type and connection, running applications.

Collapse -
Elive
by 1rocko123 / April 3, 2010 2:36 AM PDT

Just got to www.distrowatch.com.There are quite a few distro's currently available that use the enlightenment window manager/desktop.Your apparent "speed" will depend on many factors,ie: hardware,configuration,RAM,harddrive space,etc.Have fun!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!