Cameras forum

General discussion

faster memory cards

I own 3 digital cameras: Canon Powershot G2; Canon Powershot A720 IS; Konica/Minolta DiMage Z6. For the A720 and the Z6 I have been using the SD cards; for the G2 I have been using CompactFlash cards.
The specs for the A720 and the Z6 indicate I can also use MMC cards.
I note that new cards have come out that are "faster" and I could use that extra speed during picture taking sessions. Can I just buy and use these faster cards, or does each camera have limits?
Thank you for your time and effort in helping me with this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: faster memory cards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: faster memory cards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Faster Memory Cards

In reply to: faster memory cards

The MMC cards are not new .... they are quite old.
They were before the SD card and were slow.
The SD card came along and the MMC card just about disappeared.

Within the last two years, there has been a resurgence in the MMC card, with it being used on some multimedia devices.
Speed has increased.
It is slightly thinner than the SD memory card and that can be a problem when used in some cameras.

The high speed SanDisk SD cards (Ultra and Extreem) already have more speed than your cameras can use.

On DSLR cameras, faster memory cards can increase the picture taking rate when the camera is used in burst or continuous mode.
DSLR cameras have more high speed buffer memory.

Collapse -
Thanks, but

In reply to: Faster Memory Cards

In my travels, I encounter COLD. The speed with which my cameras process the photos in the cold is quite s l o w. These are the cameras I have and will have. Is there ANY way I can increase their speed?
Again, I appreciate the time you give to my questions.

Collapse -
The problem is

In reply to: Thanks, but

that for most compact camera, the transfer rate is more limited. No matter how speedy your card may be, it won't make a differece that much. Like snapshot mentioned, buffer memory of compact camera is much less than that of DLSR camera. The faster card will only help when downloading on either your desktop or laptop. When facing the cold weather, most compact and even DSLR camera will consume more energy to operate. I don't think that the downloading and uploading are so significant unless you're in the extreme cold, for instance below 20F or so.

Collapse -
Cold

In reply to: Thanks, but

People who use digital cameras in very cold situations recommend that you keep your camera next to your body.
Under your coat, not in a coat pocket.

If you have a large camera, you can remove the battery and keep the battery next to your body.

Collapse -
Thank you, snapshot & jump

In reply to: Cold

You both have clearly convinced me that I can save my money and continue using my supply of memory cards. Thank you for taking the time to educate me in this matter.
Sincerely, CPMDAVE

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.