Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

FAST Help

by scottc543 / September 27, 2010 6:00 AM PDT

Hi everyone.

I am trying to replace my HD because my old one is out of space. I've installed the new drive, formatted it (two partitions), and installed my XP on the new drive. The old drive is still installed, and I can select which drive I am booting off of. Boot off the old drive, I'm on my old PC. Boot off the new one, I'm on the new.(Only one of the XPs are active at a time. The other says it must be activated.)

So, at this point, I boot to the old, and (with this OS activated)run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard. I specify that I am saving the data on one of the drives in the PC. It runs and says it's successful.

Then I boot off the new drive and (now with THIS OS activated) when I point the FAST to the directory where I saved the files, the wizard says there's no files there to load. I can see .dat files in the directory, but the wizard can't.

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks in advance for your help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FAST Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FAST Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Help
by scottc543 / September 28, 2010 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: FAST Help

Anything, anyone? Please?

Collapse -
As far as I remember ...
by Kees Bakker / September 28, 2010 9:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Help

the drive you read from in the new OS must have the same drive letter as the drive you wrote to in the old OS. Do they?

Kees

Collapse -
Drive letter
by scottc543 / September 29, 2010 1:33 AM PDT

First, thank you so much for replying. I appreciate any and all attempts to help.

I can not say for certain that the drive was designated with the same letter in both OS'es. I have tried using the FAST multiple times in multiple ways, none of which worked. I will try it again, being sure this time that the letters match.

I've only needed the FAST wizard because I can find no other way to resolve my ultimate problem, which is the need to replace the HD I have been booting and running from. It was quite a problem to get everything installed and running correctly when I built the PC last year, and having to go through all of the trouble again because I have to start fresh on a new drive was more than I cared to deal with. However, I've tried to clone the partition to the new drive a couple of times, but can never get the resultant drive to boot successfully. I was told that Acronis would image a partition to another, but it hasn't worked for me. Is there a way to move everything from the drive that's full to a new larger drive that doesn't require me to completely reinstall the OS???

Collapse -
File transfer.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / September 28, 2010 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: FAST Help

Why don't you just copy the files you want from the original XP installation and paste them into the new one.

Just so you know, programs will not copy across. You will need to "install" programs and applications onto the new OS. But your personal files, like documents, photos, videos and music can be copied across without problem. Other files you may need to copy across, IE Favorites or Firefox Bookmarks, or whichever browser you use. You can do that by 'exporting' favorites/bookmarks to an html file in the old OS, copy that file across, then 'importing' them into the new browser.

Emails and email settings. Depending which email software you use, (unless you use web based email in which case it doesn't matter), there are methods to backup emails and restore them to the new OS. Email settings are different. You need to know your email username and password, and then use those to setup your email account on the new OS.

Beware. The dual boot information is likely held in the boot.ini file held on the original XP hard disk. If you delete that old XP, or reformat that disk, you will not be able to bootup into the new OS.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?