TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Farily Simple Question: Using a Satellite Box w/ Cable

by rockfan0005 / July 24, 2008 3:04 PM PDT

Hey guys,
Here's the deal I bought a 30" LCD TFT Monitor that has the following inputs: S-Video, RCA/composite, RGB component, VGA and DVI. The monitor doesn't have a TV tuner and I don't want to use it through a PC (want to have it act like a TV). What I've been thinking about recently is purchasing something like a Direct TV/Dishnetwork box, just to hook up to and use as a tv tuner instead of going through the cable company (I think it's like a $5 per month fee). I have cable and I will be moving in about 1 month (college student).

Here's the user's manual online (if it helps):

So the questions:
1. Is it even possible to buy something like this:
and hooking it up w/o subscribing to it?
2. If question one is yes any recommendations on what to buy?
3. Do you guys have any other ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Farily Simple Question: Using a Satellite Box w/ Cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Farily Simple Question: Using a Satellite Box w/ Cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by johnisnotcool / July 24, 2008 10:44 PM PDT

Buy a digital converter if you apply you can get a coupon from the goverment and you can take one home fore 10-20 bucks.

Collapse -
Why don't I get a Converter Box
by rockfan0005 / July 25, 2008 2:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Just

From what I've seen the converter boxes only really have RCA outlets (which I have), but the video quality of those is pretty crappy. If I was going to do that I'd just go buy an old VCR from a pawn shop for next to nothing. The reason I was thinking about using a Direct TV receiver is that I want to have something that would preferrably be the quality of VGA or DVI. If anyone has insight please feel free to share your opinion.

Collapse -
AFAIK sat box won't work with cable tv...
by Pepe7 / July 25, 2008 6:06 AM PDT it's designed to work with a sat signal and not what's coming in via your CATV coax.

Collapse -
If it's not
by dinox64 / July 26, 2008 3:29 AM PDT

An HD source who cares if it runs through an old vcr or not? That's the only time I think it would matter.
I'm currently using a vcr I bought for 2 bucks from my neighbor at a moving sale for my monitor only. I just hid it behind everything under what i'm using for an entertainment system.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?