Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Farewell, RCA Dome!

by Paul C / December 20, 2008 7:18 PM PST

For the last 24 years it served as the home field of the Indianapolis Colts, the Indiana high school football and marching band state championships, NCAA mens' and womens' basketball tournament games (including 3 mens' and 1 womens' Final Four) and more concerts, tractor pulls, monster truck competitions and motocross events than I care to think about.

But now, with a new stadium in place (the red brick structure behind it in one set of shots), the Dome had reached the end of the line. An expansion of the Indiana Convention Center will occupy its space.

Last month, the inflatable roof was deflated, cut off and the seats and other things removed. Yesterday, a controlled implosion finished the demolition:

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=videonetwork&videoID=972814613

Sic transit gloria mundi, RCA Dome.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Farewell, RCA Dome!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Farewell, RCA Dome!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
An ironic addendum:
by Paul C / December 20, 2008 7:26 PM PST
In reply to: Farewell, RCA Dome!

The firm that did the implosion, Controlled Demolition, Inc., is located in the town of Phoenix, Maryland, just north of Baltimore - the Colts' previous home... Devil

Collapse -
(NT) Good catch. What goes around ... comes down.
by drpruner / December 20, 2008 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: An ironic addendum:
Collapse -
Now for the new memories
by Angeline Booher / December 20, 2008 11:36 PM PST

...... to begin to gather in the new "gathering place".

Implosion, IMO, is a more appropriate ending for the place hat served your city so well. So much more dignified to the old wrekng bar.

Enjoy! May the Colts remain at the top of the League, unless they are playing the Titans. Happy

An aside... this brought to mind how often stadium venues require remodeling, updating, or rebuilding. But parts of the Roman amphitheaters still stand. Happy

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
New memories: Can we start this year?
by Paul C / December 22, 2008 8:46 AM PST

Oh, wait a minute: Those memories may well have to start in Nashville... Wink

Congratulations to the Titans on a well deserved season. I was VERY impressed at the way they handled a very good Steelers team yesterday.

I'm still not sold on Kerry Collins at quarterback, although I might just be a little spoiled. Wink I will concede two things about him that are good: 1) He's not Vince Young. Devil 2) With the Tennessee running game and defense - even with their two best defensive linemen not playing - the Titans will be a handful for anyone in the playoffs.

Anyway, I'm going to the Titans-Colts game this Sunday, if only to count the number of starters that the two teams do not play in what is a meaningless game - which I hoped it would not be when I got the tickets.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by Angeline Booher / December 22, 2008 8:01 PM PST

It is a true sports fan who can appreciate good play.

Young certainly was not ready. So many college quarterbacks are used to a spread offense, and, IMO, he wasn't catching on to how to see the field and making decisions.

It does take a few years for those new quarterbacks to develop. With Collins being his mentor- and Collins can see the field- and then Young doesn't learn, he'll go on the block I would think.

The choice was between him and the one from Vanderbilt (good grief! can't think of his name!) who went to Denver.

Enjoy the game Sunday!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
The quarterback you're thinking of...
by Paul C / December 22, 2008 8:38 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

...is Jay Cutler, the pride of Santa Claus, Indiana Wink

Cutler will be a fine NFL quarterback, although he seems to have a tiny ego problem from all I've seen.

If Denver beats San Diego this Sunday, the Colts will go there for their first round playoff game, and if that happens, Hopefully Mr. Freeney and Mr. Mathis can give Mr. Cutler a crash course in humility... Devil

Collapse -
I didn't realize he was
by Angeline Booher / December 23, 2008 3:12 AM PST

.... a Hoosier.

He played for Vanderbilt, and I was hoping the Titans would pick him.

He did a good job for Vandy, without a lot of team strength to help him out.

It would be interesting to know what it is that makes the decision between 2 highly recruited players,

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
That's a good question!
by Paul C / December 23, 2008 9:08 AM PST

What does make the difference between two highly sought after players in the mind of an NFL personnel person?

Consider this possibility: The Colts, with the first overall selection in the 1998 college draft, choosing Ryan Leaf as their quarterback of the future. Leaf, of course, went to San Diego, which had the second overall selection. He played two regrettably bad seasons and was out of the league.

Now, you'll never get a straight answer from Colts' personnel exec Bill Polian as to why he passed on Leaf. All I do know is that they chose some goofy looking kid who played college ball at Tennessee - and he's done OK, I guess. Devil

Collapse -
Draft? There will be no draft this year.
by drpruner / December 23, 2008 9:24 AM PST

Just some kids, their parents, and the Lions management. Happy

Collapse -
That's an easy one!
by Angeline Booher / December 23, 2008 10:23 PM PST

Heart and attitude.

That son of a legendary NFL quarterback would lead cheers after the games, and the singing of "Rocky To[". He knew how important fans were. Though supremely self-confident, he was not arrogant and didn't fall into that common "I am a football god". He has a sharp sense of humor.

He was passed over for the Heisman for a defensive player.:-(

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Yes, Peyton Manning did finish second...
by Paul C / December 25, 2008 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: That's an easy one!

...to a defensive player in the 1997 Heisman balloting. However, since the defensive player in question is Charles Woodson, who has had a pro career every bit as illustrious as Manning's, I'll have to accept that for once, they did get it (sort of) right.

Interestingly, I looked up the top five Heisman finishers of that year, and discovered that while one of them (Ryan Leaf at #3) was a total NFL bust and a second (Ricky Williams at #5 - who won the Heisman the next year) has had a mediocre pro career, the other three have had great NFL careers; Woodson, Manning and the number 5 finisher, Randy Moss. That hasn't always happened; in fact, winning the Heisman Trophy is in no way predictive of success in pro football.

Collapse -
You football fans might look up "Slingin'"
by drpruner / December 23, 2008 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Sammy Baugh, who died recently. Amazing athlete.

Collapse -
He turned the forward pass...
by Angeline Booher / December 23, 2008 10:35 PM PST

..... into dependable weapon of attack, being able to hit his receivers with accuracy.

He played before there was national TV coverage, but on occasion could be seen in news reels.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
WOW! That's what you call a KABOOM!
by drpruner / December 21, 2008 1:33 AM PST

It seems easier to take down an entire stadium than a high-rise. You just let everything fall onto the field.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.