General discussion

FAO Toni, Recovery disks, re: An easy one... 14 Feb

Not to hijack gumaro014's thread, if buying a new computer, what do you recommend as the best / minimum disk position, questions on hidden partitioning (!) etc, to come with it please?

Whilst a stretch for the ME Forum, I hope you'll find it relevant as I'm probably not alone in knowing that ME is out of date, ho hum.

Many TIA
Mo

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: FAO Toni, Recovery disks, re: An easy one... 14 Feb
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: FAO Toni, Recovery disks, re: An easy one... 14 Feb
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Some of this may not be

under your control as options depending on where you are buying the computer from because 'regular' vendors such as HP, Dell, Gateway, etc. have their own way of doing things, including getting you recovery disks. Some do, some don't, some give you the option to create your own from their separate partition of the harddrive.

If you are talking about a custom build where you can pick and choose everything and how it's set up and can work with a vendor who gives you separate installation disks for everything, including the operating system, hardware, motherboard, software, and manuals, that's the route to go because the ease of having control later of only installing what you want and knowing your installation 'recovery' disk isn't hardwired to the original hardware or it ceases to function, is the biggest benefit of all.

What specifically do you want to do and who will you be going to for it?

TONI

- Collapse -
Thank you. Now I know what to try to achieve....

Dear Toni

As a consumer, I will be going to a retailer of one sort or another. Thanks to your information, I now know what to ask for and better still, know the advantages or disadvantages of what is on offer and the drawbacks to avoid from your earlier post to gumaro014.

I hope you are keeping well
Regards
Mo

CNET Forums

Forum Info