Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Fancy sword rattling

by Willy / May 30, 2013 12:53 AM PDT

If you recall, there have been times I made mention of China's armaments getting more and more. They are building a military to be a world power and that can only lead to possible confrontation. Not too long ago, China intruded in India's territory. One way or another it has gotten its toe in the door. It seems to be making more friendly relations with its neighbors but somehow it makes a move that's counter. In light of this and other possible threats, the US military or DARPA is progressed in an pgm. to make a fast response and try to reach anywhere in the world. Now, that's a lofty goal. Nope, already much in the works by using "scamjets" dubbed a HTV-2.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/2013/05/30/commentary/new-u-s-weapons-have-china-worried/

It works, it simply burns off its skin going so fast that it then failed. Hey guys, why not use layers or "shark skin" principles.

The idea that the US can strike so fast worries some is no thought a concern. But, more importantly some strike in response or "pre-eminent one" could happen if deemed necessary. I have a feeling a lesser national threat will have this tested using the latest tech to prove in "real world" telling results. "Do you feel lucky, punk"? Dirty Harry stance -----Willy Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fancy sword rattling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fancy sword rattling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've mentioned several times
by James Denison / May 30, 2013 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Fancy sword rattling

That the "one child policy" in China, which was resulting in a great imbalance of the sexes, due to girl babies being aborted in favor of a male child, would result eventually in two possible outcomes.

1) Become more warlike
2) Increase of homosexuality

I would add a third possible now and that is a sexual slave trade, or mail order brides, looking to secure females from surrounding Asian countries.

Collapse -
Roman history
by Willy / May 30, 2013 12:26 PM PDT

Look at past early Roman history when it was relatively young. That it created some games in order for surrounding neighbors(nation states) be invited. It supposedly is recognized as the Sabine Rape of young females as the young Roman state was wanting of females. In order to create a strong Roman state, many males of dubious past were invited and thus created a male surplus population beyond anything local could provide thus the "games" as a lure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rape_of_the_Sabine_Women

I guess my Latin classes came in handy. -----Willy Happy "Sit ludos incipiunt"

Collapse -
Then you probably know that Latin
by Steven Haninger / May 31, 2013 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Roman history

was more the adopted language of the Romans after taking over the Italic regions. There were actual Latin people and, from what I once read, their conquerors took their language as their own.

Collapse -
If you believe the Aeneid (I don't) the original "founders"
by Ziks511 / May 31, 2013 3:45 AM PDT

of Rome were escaped Trojans. It all sounds too much like a "founding" myth connecting what had been a backwater to a thriving and powerful mythic predecessor. Julius Caesar liked to claim descent from Venus via Aeneas and the Trojan wanderers.

Italy was a hodge podge of related and unrelated languages with Umbrian and Oscan related to Latin which was the language of Latium, the area around Rome, but right next door the previous dominant culture of the Etruscans was based on a language that we still haven't figured out. It certainly doesn't appear related to the Indo-European family which includes Greek and Latin. The Etruscans were in close trade contact with the Greeks, and the majority of Greek Red on Black and Black on Red ware has been discovered in Etruscan tombs, not in Greece. Eventually the Romans expanded their dominance over the Etruscans (the fact that Etruria was particularly fertile was a big inducement) and ultimately Latin became the language of the Empire. That doesn't mean that Umbrian and Oscan and Sicilian dialects died out. They were alive and well during WW2 but the language of administration was and is Italian.

The only other Non-Indo European language still occupying its original position is that of the Basques. Hungarian Finnish and Estonian comes from the edge of the Mongol home lands, and Turkish is the language of one of the Mongolian Tribes who moved in and took over Turkey in about the 7th Century AC. Everything else including Slavic Languages are Indo-European in origin including Persian or Farsi. I don't know about Pashto, the other language in Afghanistan.

Rob

Collapse -
If this is what they are doing in India
by Diana Forum moderator / June 5, 2013 2:47 AM PDT

they are in big trouble because India has been aborting girl babies for a long time so they wouldn't have to pay for the elaborate weddings. Some villages have very few women to marry.

Besides the Arabs have been buying girls from India for a long time. Don't know if it's still happening.

Diana

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.