General discussion

Fan Speed Too Low

I got a message yesterday when I started up my computer that said:
Fan Speed Too Low.

I was then prompted to press F1 to fix it or ESC to exit and continue with my normal start up. I pressed ESC because I didn't know what to do.

The computer I own is a Sony Vaio VG3-RB30 desktop. Windows XP operating system. Intel Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz. 504 MB Ram. Service Pack 3. With 128 GB free space.

It has been making some really weird noises the past couple of days. Kind of like a mini weed-whacker.

What do I do to fix this? I opened up the tower and cleaned out as much dust as I could. There are 3 fans in there. 2 with easy access, 1 that's more difficult to get to. After the cleanup the noises were still there. But not as bad.

Also, on a side note, Firefox takes forever to load on my computer. Any suggestions to get it to load quicker?

Thanks a lot for your potential responses.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Fan Speed Too Low
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Fan Speed Too Low
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Fans are mechanical with bearings that wear out.

You found 3 fans. Why not order new ones and replace them all? These are only good for a few years and any Pentium 4 is well past the time that we expect these to last.
Bob

- Collapse -
Replacement

Okay. Thanks. What happens if I don't replace the fans?

- Collapse -
Increasing problems...

The fans will continue to struggle, causing heat issues until the fans eventually fail. Heat issues can reduce performance, cause unexpected failures, and lead your computer to shutdown on its own accord to prevent physical damage, assuming your computer supports such precautionary shutdowns. It's well worth the few dollars it costs to order replacement fans to avoid such issues.

John

- Collapse -
RE: Increasing problems...

Okay. Can you recommend any sites that sell fans for my computer? Thanks.

- Collapse -
Just starters.

I've used newegg.com and geeks.com and even amazon.com

- Collapse -
There are lots of specialty places like the ones
- Collapse -
Just keep in mind that...

Fans come in different sizes, different speed ranges, and different pin (referring to the power connector) counts. You need to check either your computer specifications (usually in the user manual or available on the manufacturer's website) or visually inspect the fans to determine this information and purchase a matching replacement.

Regards,
John

CNET Forums

Forum Info