Dell forum

General discussion

Fan out?

by psaulm119 / June 12, 2009 1:40 AM PDT

My Dimension 2350 has been shutting off before loading the desktop the last day or so. I will get the Dell logo/BIOS to load, but at some point after it gets to the user log in menu, or the "do you want Windows to load normally, an improper shutdown last time etc." screen, it will just shut down--the computer turns itself off.

Someone suggested that I check out the fan--I think that may be the culprit, because after turning on the computer, I could hear no fan. I didn't disconnect it from the mobo but I did manage to detach it from the case, and then I vacuumed it out. Now I can hear the fan (and it does push air out the back), and the computer will now go past the login screen, allowing me to log in and start to load windows, but a few seconds after the desktop appears, it shuts down still.

I would like to keep repairs under $50 if I can, or else it would start making sense to simply buy another desktop, as this one is 5 years old. I've heard that if the fan is gone, the power supply also will go soon. Is that correct? Any troubleshooting recommendations?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fan out?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fan out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Fan out?
by Runningbear16 / June 30, 2009 4:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Fan out?

If you can try try a restore point prior to when you noticed the problems and see if that helps

Collapse -
Hteat and its effects or lack of coolings
by Willy / June 30, 2009 10:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Fan out?

Wear&tear on system device and components do take effect. That means once a certain threshold is meant, weird or flaky operation. This can be a combo of things or a weak device/component doing this. The end effect it just doesn't boot or fails entirely at a later date. After yrs, expect some issue to arise. Replacing an ailing fan works. But, if the system has been used with reduced cooling the end result some device/component become less than desirable. CPUs, HDs are prone to this as well as the PSU. A PSU can fail as the stable power levels have fallen or become unable to maintain. In such cases, replace the PSU and check results. Be sure *ALL FANS* are working and 100%. If all this is too costly, then consider a new system, no telling what it may take to get to a stable system again. At least for 5yrs. use you got your money's worth, IMHO and that alone a new system with all the new goodies is worth it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?