General discussion

Fan out?

My Dimension 2350 has been shutting off before loading the desktop the last day or so. I will get the Dell logo/BIOS to load, but at some point after it gets to the user log in menu, or the "do you want Windows to load normally, an improper shutdown last time etc." screen, it will just shut down--the computer turns itself off.

Someone suggested that I check out the fan--I think that may be the culprit, because after turning on the computer, I could hear no fan. I didn't disconnect it from the mobo but I did manage to detach it from the case, and then I vacuumed it out. Now I can hear the fan (and it does push air out the back), and the computer will now go past the login screen, allowing me to log in and start to load windows, but a few seconds after the desktop appears, it shuts down still.

I would like to keep repairs under $50 if I can, or else it would start making sense to simply buy another desktop, as this one is 5 years old. I've heard that if the fan is gone, the power supply also will go soon. Is that correct? Any troubleshooting recommendations?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Fan out?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Fan out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re:Fan out?

If you can try try a restore point prior to when you noticed the problems and see if that helps

- Collapse -
Hteat and its effects or lack of coolings

Wear&tear on system device and components do take effect. That means once a certain threshold is meant, weird or flaky operation. This can be a combo of things or a weak device/component doing this. The end effect it just doesn't boot or fails entirely at a later date. After yrs, expect some issue to arise. Replacing an ailing fan works. But, if the system has been used with reduced cooling the end result some device/component become less than desirable. CPUs, HDs are prone to this as well as the PSU. A PSU can fail as the stable power levels have fallen or become unable to maintain. In such cases, replace the PSU and check results. Be sure *ALL FANS* are working and 100%. If all this is too costly, then consider a new system, no telling what it may take to get to a stable system again. At least for 5yrs. use you got your money's worth, IMHO and that alone a new system with all the new goodies is worth it.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums