Laptops forum

General discussion

Fan Noise

I own an HP dv1000 -- some of you will know that the internal fan is distractingly loud. I would like to remedy this, and am considering buying a cooling "pad" to go under the notebook. My questions are:

1. Do cooling pads reduce the time your notebook's own fan is on?
2. If not, then what else can I do to quiet my machine?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fan Noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fan Noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1. Yes.

In reply to: Fan Noise

2. I replace such fans. Only slightly technical to accomplish but one needs to match the fan's voltage and RPMs. Very often the fan is worn out or you find one that is off balance. Let's peg this at the expertise level of moderate. That is you have no fear of opening up your laptop.

Bob

Collapse -
Bobs the man..

In reply to: 1. Yes.

Hes right and the DV 1000 series there is a couple other things to do while Cleaning/changing the fan.. These are showing up with major overheat issues and it all starts out with "Dust/Lint" buildup in the radiator.. When you pull the heatsink and fan Get rid of the thermal transfer pad on the heatsink.. Peel it off, Clean with alcohol, Until both the CPU and the contact area are perfectly clean.. Second is to bend the hold down arms or tabs slightly upward on the heatsink to allow for slightly more pressure being appilied to the CPU.. 3rd is a small drop of thermal paste or compound applied to the center pad of the cpu only. Test fit the heatsink, Be sure you have an even film of the paste contacting both surfaces, Reassmble and you should be fine.. If this condition goes too long without a simple maintenance it will Kill or Short a Field effect transistor in the CPU line.. (Weve seen too many of these and its ALWAYS thermal to start).. Theyre a 4800B chip and are a problem.. Good luck!
(Good post Bob)..

Collapse -
thanks, but...

In reply to: Bobs the man..

Unfortunately, I have never done this before. Is there a place where I can find step-by-step instructions?

Collapse -
No offense meant.

In reply to: thanks, but...

But if you can't research this then it's not something I suggest you do.

As to the dusting out, that's widely documented and while you won't find EXACT steps for your make and model the steps are generic enough that you can google that question.

Bob

Collapse -
Fair enough

In reply to: No offense meant.

I certainly will research this -- I only asked in case those of you who are clearly informed could point out something quickly and easily.

Collapse -
DV1K

In reply to: thanks, but...

Just go to HP And download the link for the repair/disassembly manual.. It will take some searching but you found your way here so you are great on looking for info...(They have a live chat option as well)..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.