Laptops forum

Question

Fan is exceptionally loud on my HP... any suggestions?

Hi,

I have a HP Pavilion dv4 Notebook PC that I have owned for approx 2 years. Several months ago, I started noticing that the fan is very loud and the laptop is giving off more heat than it did before.

When it is running off the battery, it will "overheat" (I think) and turn off before the battery is drained. When it is charging/plugged in, the same thing has happened when I would watch a movie in bed or on my lap. This leads me to believe the fan cannot effectively cool off the laptop if it is not on a flat surface like a desk or a table.

Outside of the noisy fan (it sounds like it is working at maximum) and the abrupt shutdowns, which I have learned to prevent, everything else seems to be running fine.

How can I solve this problem of an excessively noisy fan and warm laptop? I appreciate any input you have to offer.

-aarodn10

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fan is exceptionally loud on my HP... any suggestions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fan is exceptionally loud on my HP... any suggestions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
When was the last time you cleaned the vents?

In reply to: Fan is exceptionally loud on my HP... any suggestions?

More about that there;
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-19681_102-3196452.html

And you're right, a laptop shouldn't really be called a laptop. it needs a flat surface to aid air flow into and through the vents.

I have heard of 'cooling pads' to rest the laptop on, but I haven't any experience of those.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
We can use that information.

". This leads me to believe the fan cannot effectively cool off the laptop if it is not on a flat surface like a desk or a table. "

I believe you! Laptops of today's designs can not cool well if they are not on a flat surface. This is not a flaw but a limitation of laptop design and our demands for performance.

Now that we know you don't keep it on the right surfaces it's time to note this forums top posts and have you skip down to laptop cleaning. While it can't correct the design flaw (in my view not a flaw) it can help remove what lint and dust the laptop has vacuumed up.

--> What you may want to use in the future is one of those iPads since it has no issue with use on non-flat surfaces.
Bob

Collapse -
Never cleaned vents before.

In reply to: We can use that information.

Thanks for the advice.

No, I had never known to do this. So judging by the fan running all the time, I would my laptop needs an extensive cleaning. Does this mean I should disassemble it at all? Not much experience doing that.

aarodn10

Collapse -
For your first try.

In reply to: Never cleaned vents before.

Why not use Canned Air on the vents. Plenty of articles about how to do this. Short version? A few short blasts.
Bob

Collapse -
I did that, but I fear it wasn't enough

In reply to: For your first try.

I used canned air on the vents...but it was the first time I have done this so I doubt it cures the problem

Collapse -
I guess I was not blunt enough.

In reply to: I did that, but I fear it wasn't enough

The cure for you is to move to the iPad type devices that can be used as you see fit, where you see fit.

There is no known cure for the use you described short of changing the machines.
Bob

Collapse -
Just checking

In reply to: I did that, but I fear it wasn't enough

Did you check that HP web site link in the post I gave above?

It's just that I saw in that HP guidance they opened the case to look inside, and I noticed they said to " blow out the dust from around the fan and heat shield".

Doing that through the vents may not be sufficient.

This may not be the issue of course, and if the system continues to run hot and the fan is working hard, then other than using the notebook on a flat surface, or using a cooling pad, this might point to other hardware issues.

Mark

Collapse -
I never disassembled a laptop before

In reply to: Just checking

Mark,

I looked at the link, and that is what I am getting at. I am not sure where the fan/heat guard are located and I wouldn't want to make a critical error in finding it. I have never took apart a laptop, although I am a bit curious...

Collapse -
Then try to keep it on the flat surfaces.

In reply to: I never disassembled a laptop before

I fear owners are not being told about proper locations for laptops. The discussions appear that if a store did tell the owner, the consumer might think that the laptop was defective in some way and shop at a place that doesn't offer any guidance.

Not everyone is ready to work on their own gear. There are shops aplenty that do this for us.
Bob

Collapse -
I must admit,

In reply to: I never disassembled a laptop before

neither have I. Opening the case on a PC is much easier, but opening a laptop up is not something I would want to have to do myself.

I have heard that often there are hidden screws under the rubber pad feet on the underside. That might be a clue.

But if you are not confident, then a local repair shop might let you watch how they would do it.

Mark

Collapse -
Answer
I had the fan replaced and..

..it made a massive difference. There wasn't much dust or a 'beard' on the fan on inspection - the choice was live with it or replace it for £96 Inc fitting

It did the trick. They left the old part in the bag - it had four wires to it. If two are a fan speed/temp sensor and the sensor were to have packed up then perhaps the controller would just keep it running at maximum..

Hard to know for sure but I'm happy with the outcome

Incidentally I waited until Windows 10 came out and installed that just in case that made a difference - nada.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.