Laptops forum

General discussion

Fan Buzzing on a Lenovo T61

by undercooked / June 11, 2009 8:49 PM PDT

My Thinkpad that I've had for over a year is making some strange fan noises. It's coming from the top left. Even though the fan is buzzing the computer is not getting hot. Does anyone know if this is a repair that can be done without using a warranty?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fan Buzzing on a Lenovo T61
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fan Buzzing on a Lenovo T61
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How often
by deniceels / June 11, 2009 11:08 PM PDT

is the buzzing and is it those grinding sounds or just loud spinning type? Is it intermitten, or from starting up of the laptop till shutdown? or only when you are doing some software intensive stuff?

Did you check at the fan outlet to see if there's any dust clogging it? Usually a fan making noise when the processor is running faster, thus making the cooling mechanism to kick-in, or dust at the fan is making it hotter, thus causing the fan to start spinning faster, else, worst case is the dry-ness of the fan motor, causing grinding noise.

Collapse -
by undercooked / June 12, 2009 6:46 PM PDT
In reply to: How often

It's a grinding type noise and it comes and goes. It mainly comes on when playing games or watching movies. I already tried using an air blower to clear any dust but the sound is still there.

Collapse -
Arr..
by deniceels / June 13, 2009 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: .

It's working 'hard' for you. Sounds like heating up due to heavy activity. Instead of blowing the dust, how about sucking it out from the vent? When I opened my laptop to clean the fan (which previously I sucked it out), there was still thick dust sticking to the fan and the deeper part of the vent.

If you were to subject the air in-take to cooling agents like a fan, does it still happen? If you are fine with opening it up yourself, I'm quite sure there's manual on how to open up the laptop to do so, else, I would take it to a person who's experience and have it cleaned and probably add a little more paste to the space between the procesor and fan to transfer out the heat faster.

Collapse -
DIY Instructions
by boilingmadness / July 24, 2009 10:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Arr..

Hi,

I have a T61 with the same problem. Is there a guide (video or written) on how to clean the laptop vents if I want to open the laptop? Or should I just do it without opening the laptop with a can of compressed air?

Regards,

bm

Collapse -
T61 Fan Buzzing
by RCyberW / July 31, 2009 7:01 PM PDT
In reply to: DIY Instructions

Hi, well...the same as above T61, fan buzzing, getting louder now. Sometimes I get the "Fan Error" black screen and my laptop shuts off, after leaving it alone for a few minutes, it works okay for a while again until the buzzing comes back. I tried to open up to see the fan for any possible ways to fix the problems, but I didn't see any damage of any kind....I read couple other forum posts from other sites, they said there's a BIOS solution to it? Can anyone explain that or tell me a better solution? Thanks

Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 9:55 PM PDT
In reply to: T61 Fan Buzzing

If there was a BIOS solution no one would ask or complain about it but "get it done" and the problem would not reach the point of so many complaints.

In the top of this forum we talk about what's in laptops and a little more.

Just so you know, laptops are not zero maintenance bricks. We get to replace parts (like fans) or take it apart to find some paper scrap that get sucked into it. I'm finding consumers are not aware of the need for basic maintenance but seem to think these are no-maintenance bricks.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem is likely a bad fan bearing, not dust
by bosjt / July 7, 2011 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with no.

I've inspected the fan on my T61 and it did have a little dust on it but after blowing it out the ran still makes noise. It's a "rattling" sound and it is annoying. I'm considering replacing the fan myself even though this isn't officially a user servicable repair. See info on replacement part numbers on the Lenovo Community forum http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/T61-Fan-Noise/td-p/89286/page/2

which suggests the following part numbers and web site to order them

Toshiba 42W2460
Furukawa 44C0825
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/documen?t.do?lndocid=MIGR-67911

Collapse -
Official or not?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2011 2:20 AM PDT

If it's out of warranty you usually save about 100+ bucks if you replace it yourself. Some folk cringe and retreat and must have the work done by authorized centers.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?