Phones forum

General discussion

Family Plans

Looking for the best family plan for 3 lines. No Cingular. 2 phones need to be GSM. 3rd can be V66. What's the best plan and phone(s)? Like D-415 & V300/V600 phones & some Sprint phones (but not the 2 year commitment). Thx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Family Plans
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Family Plans
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Family Plans

In reply to: Family Plans

That leaves Verizon Wireless out, since you said that it must be GSM. Even so, I wouldn't recommend Verizon Wireless for family plans, only because I think $20 per line and sharing the low number of anytime minutes don't make it worth the money. You don't want Cingular. Don't look at AT&T since they're being acquired by Cingular in most markets later this year or early next year. Out of nationwide GSM carriers, that only leaves T-Mobile. I don't know of any regional or local GSM carriers. T-Mobile has familytime basic with 400 anytime minutes, unlimited mobile-to-mobile, and unlimited nights and weekends for $49.99. Familytime with same features as Familytime basic, but with 800 anytime minutes for $69.99. Then there's Familytime plus with same features as both above, but with 1600 anytime minutes for $99.99. Their family plans allow up to 5 lines with a $35 activation fee per line, and all phones must be for the same account, address, and market that the address is set up for. I don't know if that's reasonable or not. You looked at Sprint too. Just to let you know, Sprint uses CDMA, so a GSM phone won't work with Sprint. But Sprint's family plan is similar to Verizon Wireless, any plan you choose for anytime minutes, plus $20 for each additional phone on same account. Unlimited PCS to PCS is $5 a month, unless you sign a 2 year contract. Same with Night and weekends starting at 7pm, $5 a month, unless you sign a 2 year contract. You have 2 choices of services. One with GSM and one with CDMA.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Family Plans

Ok, let me show my lack of 'cellness.' What I meant by GSM is that I want 2 primary phones with color. Camera is ok, but not a requirement. Is there a plan out there where I can get 2 color phones, the 3rd line doesn't have to be. I'm sort of in a small town that is greatly growing, but isn't currently known for great reception. I'd like a few games that aren't fee based. Thx

Collapse -

It would help to know where you live so people on here can help out. Where you live will give us an idea what carriers are in your area. When you mentioned GSM, that was telling me you wanted a GSM carrier. As for color phones, Verizon Wireless has a special going on with LG VX3200; buy one, get one free after rebate. Also there's the LG VX4500, and get the LGVX3200 free after rebate. And last buy one LG VX6000, get another LG VX6000 free after rebate. Note, LG VX4500 & 6000 are digital only phones, so unless you travel a lot, get the VX3200. As for family plans, it's whatever plan you choose, then $20 additional per line per month. The plans vary, depending on what you want. I personally don't think Verizon Wireless' family plans are worth the money, but otherwise recmmend the service if it's in your area. I don't know what is being offered by other services.

Collapse -

I live in the Bay Area, in particular near Oakley,CA. There is a tower nearby that has Nextel and PCS. I like the PCS Sanyo 4500. Unclear if the 1100 minutes for family plan is only to 'share' or if that includes all minutes, i.e. calls that you receive or I make other than to the other family plan member? Unclear about their 'vision' pkg. I've spoken to some who have Verizon and say that the coverage is spotty, and their LG phone has bleeding graphics. Can't even tell what time it is.

Collapse -

I looked at the Sprint 1100 anytime minute plan and those minutes are shared. Night and weekend minutes are unlimited starting at 9pm. Night and weekend starting at 7pm is $5 a month, unless you have a 2 year contract. More details on their plans are at sprintpcs.com . I can answer what i can, but I don't have SprintPCS. I have Verizon Wireless and have had them for 2 1/2 years and work great here. Sprint coverage wise is fine, as long as circuits aren't overloaded, and northern Indiana usually doesn't have the problem like Chicago does. but the area at times has static. I don't know about California though.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.