Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

false report of disk space used

by myshannon1 / January 23, 2008 12:40 AM PST

I dragged a number of files to my cd-rw disk, using windows disk copying/burning utility. I can access them just fine, but when I use properties to see how much space I have left on the CD It shows the cd almost empty yet one file alone is more than 6 mbs in size.

It seems I am getting a false reading. Does anyone know why or what I can do about it

Shannon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: false report of disk space used
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: false report of disk space used
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You'll have to reveal what CDRW software you are using.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 12:59 AM PST

But it's not like a flash or hard disk so the rules change. There is nothing amiss here so we have to first determine which CDRW recording software you are using, then we have to dissect the file system on the CD and then we'll have our answer.

But the short answer is that it's proper. We will not at the end of this discussion fix that display but just understand it.

Bob

Collapse -
CDRW software
by myshannon1 / January 23, 2008 2:38 AM PST

Windows copying/burning as stated

Collapse -
Then zero bytes free would be proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: CDRW software

I'm not going to duplicate Microsoft's articles about this. It is as it is and no sign it's going to change. If you install Nero or other software you find it works pretty well but the native CD recording will not agree with what people think they should see.

Bob

Collapse -
nero
by myshannon1 / January 23, 2008 3:02 AM PST

Thanks for info. Im afraid to put any more files on CD as I don't know if its almost full even th though its showing empty. I generally use Nero but prefer windows burner for some copying tasks

Collapse -
Windows does not copy CDs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 3:05 AM PST
In reply to: nero
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279157/ describes what it does do and this is not one of its features.

The proper freespace for Windows CD recording is "zero bytes free."

If you see something else then some other software to provide CDRW as a big floppy was installed. Remember there is a lot to learn here about why the bytes don't match. I can't duplicate all the articles you need to know but want to skip to the finish line. It's working properly...

Bob
Collapse -
PS. Why I asked what was in use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2008 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: CDRW software

Windows does not supply a CD copying feature in the native CD recording so I just wanted to be sure.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?