Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

FALSE appears now before my email addy to recipients

by killianred / August 22, 2009 1:40 PM PDT

I have spent hours looking for info on this and cannot get any answers. I returned from Vacation and found my sent Yahoo email shows up to recipients as false instead of with my email name. I used a different computer while on vacation to access my email, and when I came home I found that the FALSE was added.
Many of my friends/family is deleting my emails because of this. False shows up as Me, and not my name....please help...
I am running XP on a HP Pavilion m7590n
I have no other problems with my computer. I do clean it up and a few months ago did a defrag.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: FALSE appears now before my email addy to recipients
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: FALSE appears now before my email addy to recipients
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: email address
by Kees Bakker / August 22, 2009 7:28 PM PDT

When you started with your Yahoo mail, you set up your account. And part of that setup is determining how your name should show up as a sender in the mail (for example, "Red Killian" or "Killian Red" or "Reddie"; just guessing of course).

Now go back to that setup screen and make it as you wish again.

Kees

Collapse -
Been there done that
by killianred / August 23, 2009 12:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: email address

My yahoo email has not changed in years. Yesterday I went to email my Mom, and I could not type in the subject line. I repeatedly tried, and thought my keyboard was not working. I could type in the body of the email. I kept deleting the email I was composing as I knew the false would show in the from field, and now no subject,so it would have been picked up by any Spam filter. I then clicked the SUBJECT word....and was shocked to see an automatic subject show up....
I just checked again and it shows up differently EACH CLICK of the Subject line word...
ASAP's Fables,so I click again:
The Dreaded Executive Spousal Review:
Tinsel and Garland are not the same thing, Tinsel Rocks,
How to comb your curly hair,
This is the first email of your new life
You are a brave young dragon. But mine is the stronger gung fu.
Did you pay the ransome
The twins just turned 2 and 4 this month.
we never once talked about a blow dryer
NONE of THESE are something that I have typed....ever in the Subject line.
With each click is a different subject appearing in the subject line.
Between last night and this morning I have ran my updated Ad-Aware,and Spybot Search and Destroy. I also have NORTON checking my incoming email and anything that I open.
I never set up my email to show up as FALSE....
Thanks for any help
EACH click gives a new subject in the subject line. Something has a hold on my Yahoo...and no searches come up with any answers anywhere that is relating to this problem. Not in Yahoo and not even on CNET....

Collapse -
Re: Yahoo
by Kees Bakker / August 23, 2009 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Been there done that

Let's get it's clear:
1. FALSE was added to the sender when you were using another PC (one other or several others) during VACATION.
2. You didn't tell in your first post if it still happens on your own machine now you returned home. Does it?
3. This new subject line issue occurs on your home machine. It didn't occur during your vacation.
I don't have Yahoo, so I can't see what happens if I should click on the word (not the field) subject.

With Yahoo being web-based (probably) you can really try everywhere: work or school, public library, friends, family. So I would start checking both the sender line and the subject line on a few of such computers. Just to get the problem clear.

Adaware and Spybot certainly aren't the latest in malware checking. On these forums use of MBAM instead (free download from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php) is highly recommended instead. So please try that program.

Kees

Collapse -
False
by killianred / August 23, 2009 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Yahoo

I used one computer when on vacation to check email.
Upon returning home I noticed False in the From Field when I would Reply to emails, or forward my emails that I sent. I didn't notice it right away until the phone calls came.
Responses from family let me know by phone.
I will go try on my Husbands computer now....
Yes it is the same thing using my Husbands computer running Vista. I run XP.
Can you respond on the Mailwasher that I read about on Cnet? I know there are so many different people with opinions on the different programs it is hard to decide which to use.
I will be glad to try your suggestion. One thing I do not want is any program to delete unread emails in my folders in my yahoo mail.
I have the Malwarebytes site open to read about it. Do you know if it is a one source system for Antivirus, too? Malware software I do not have yet. So could this be in additon to my other programs? Or do I have to delete the other ones?

Collapse -
one more thing
by killianred / August 23, 2009 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: False

If it matters, I am using Firefox and it is updated. Also, have the Firefox added plugins for adware and popups.

Collapse -
Re: Malwarebytes
by Kees Bakker / August 23, 2009 4:19 AM PDT
In reply to: False

The free version of Malwarebytes is not real-time. So you can install it next to your current antivirus and run a scan.
But if exactly the same happens on your PC and that of your husband, it's getting more unlikely it's something with you. Then it's something with Yahoo.

Kees

Collapse -
I will download it
by killianred / August 23, 2009 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Malwarebytes

I thought it could be with Yahoo. I have sent them the info as well and hopefully can get some kind of fix.
Thank you for your help and your time.
Moderators are Special People....

Collapse -
Malware found nothing
by killianred / August 23, 2009 1:46 PM PDT
In reply to: I will download it

Spybot and Ad-aware cleaned up everything, the new Malware found nothing. I will keep it and use it, thank you for that.
However the original problem still exists. I am awaiting a Yahoo help email.

Collapse -
yahoo subject line
by xmyp / January 6, 2010 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: Been there done that

ever since i've been using the new yahoo mail, if I can't think of a subject line for an email, I'll hit the subject button and it puts something funny or amusing.

i'm pretty sure thats not spyware, its just a way to brighten up some emails.

Collapse -
FALSE appears now before my email addy to recipients
by scheiver / March 5, 2010 10:17 AM PST

Go to Yahoo Mail - choose options at right of screen - change whatever you want including the word 'fals' in the FROM field.
GL, Sch

Collapse -
False appears instead of my name
by dinepeople / April 1, 2010 1:29 AM PDT

This started about 4-5 days ago and I need this fixed!! I use my computer to take care of some business and people are deleting my emails because they think it is SPAM or worse.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?