Dell forum

Alert

False advertisement - no "dual band" WiFi card in Inspiron

by GF9R2Z1 / February 4, 2014 12:27 AM PST

Dell falsely advertised that Inspiron 7537 laptop has a dual-band wireless card. I bought one only to find out about this little "mistake" when it was too late, the laptop arrived with a subpar single-band card that is super slow and drops connection frequently.

Three chats with Dell Customer "Care" and two phone conversations with their tech "support" later, they didn't even pretend to try and work out a solution or to offer any assistance. Tech support sends me to customer care, customer care back to tech support, then it bounces around couple more times, then they give me yet another number to call where they, sure enough, never pick up the phone.

That's what you get from Dell after they've swindled you out of $1500+.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: False advertisement - no "dual band" WiFi card in Inspiron
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: False advertisement - no "dual band" WiFi card in Inspiron
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Other Dell misleading you Dual-band
by orlbuckeye / February 12, 2014 2:29 AM PST

may not be your issue. 2.4 ghz has an advantage over 5 ghz in that it is better as far as distance of the signal and is typically the better solution for home networks.

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wirelessfaqs/f/5ghz-gear.htm

Also it could be your router causing the drop. I recently moved to lightning internet from Bright House and they installed a Motorola modem/router and that dropped connection once a day. When they installed the modem i disconnected the modem. Bright House changed the PW and i couldn't get into configure the router. I attached my router into the modem and I never drop a signal. Now sometimes when my laptop recovers from sleeping it connects back to the Motorola router and I just reconnect it the my Linksys. I actually did a speed test and it's actually faster also.

Collapse -
personal experience
by GF9R2Z1 / February 12, 2014 5:31 AM PST

I have three other laptops (macbook pro, dell vostro, system76 galago) - all with dual-band wireless cards. So I have extensively tested 2.4 vs 5 GHz setup first hand. Long story short, 2.4 in general is totally inferior to 5. Even speed is at least 5 times slower. This comes from my personal experience, not google. Furthermore, this particular cheapo card that Dell puts in $1500 laptop is even below crap level, its best has been 0.5 Mb/sec so far, while other laptops give me 9+ Mb/sec on local wireless LAN. It's real megabytes, by the way, not millionbits.

What makes it even worse is that Dell won't make any effort to rectify their screw up. They simply ignore you after they got your money.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?