Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Fake lie-detector reveals women's sex lies

by Dragon / November 16, 2004 11:09 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fake lie-detector reveals women's sex lies
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fake lie-detector reveals women's sex lies
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Interesting that women in the study had 10% more sexual part
by Ziks511 / November 16, 2004 11:18 AM PST

ners than the men. No wonder they're lying, they know how insecure men are.

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Makes perfect sense
by Diane Harrison / November 16, 2004 11:23 AM PST

If women are expected to be more chaste, then they are certainly not going to be admitting to extensive histories. Even sex in a committed relationship, when tallied with other similar encounters (even through marriage), "looks bad" if you go by sheer numbers, for women who have more than a minimal amount. A woman with two sexual encouters prior to marriage in her early twenties, a subsequent marriage, and maybe one other relationship if the marriage has ended, is going to end up with a score of four, which doesn't look real good in this society. A same score for a man, however, would likely raise eyebrows the other direction.

Collapse -
Double standard
by TONI H / November 16, 2004 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: Makes perfect sense

I've wondered since I was about 14 years old how come 'boys will be boys' and 'sowing his wild oats' was always acceptable standards, but girls/women were 'easy' or 'sluts' or 'not marriage material' if she admitted to/or was suspected of having sex.

Who did all those approving of boys having sex think they were doing it with??????????

TONI

Collapse -
Re: Double standard
by Diana Forum moderator / November 16, 2004 9:45 PM PST
In reply to: Double standard

Kinda like an aggressive man was looked up to while an aggressive woman was bitchy.

Collapse -
Huh?
by Bill Osler / November 17, 2004 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Makes perfect sense

Are you suggesting that there is something wrong with my score of 1?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Depends on how many wives you've had ;-)
by Diane Harrison / November 17, 2004 11:14 AM PST
In reply to: Huh?
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Was it good for you? Yes. Buzz-z-z-z-z-z-zzzzzzzzzzz!!!
by imiiso / November 16, 2004 9:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Futuristic Gadget...
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 16, 2004 9:39 PM PST

It would be interesting to see scientist comes up with an accurate DETECTOR that reads:

The dates, time, and visual images, how, when, and where an individual *FANTACIZED* about someone else other than their partner or spouse.

How much truths will "The I love you words" surprisingly reveal?
What would this gadget do to the relationship?
What bearing would this hold in the legal system?

Collapse -
Re: Futuristic Gadget...
by Dragon / November 17, 2004 2:03 AM PST
In reply to: Futuristic Gadget...

You might be interested in reading "The Truth Machine" by James L. Halperin

BTW, there are some promising new technologies which we may someday see in use which are far superior to the current 'lie detector'. Who knows, maybe fiction will become reality.

Collapse -
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 17, 2004 5:18 AM PST
Collapse -
by Diane Harrison / November 17, 2004 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Futuristic Gadget...

This would spell the death-knell to many, if not most marriages. I know my husband looks at other females (he's married, not dead! LOL), but he is extremely discreet about it, and I don't think I want to know how often he has those thoughts, nor would he likely be thrilled with my random thoughts on men.

I think women would take it harder than men, since they seem to be able to accept fantasy about other women as a natural part of their lives. Women tend to take that same issue as a betrayal of trust, and an end to the love between the parties. It is a gender perception difference that is so huge, that I doubt it will ever be overcome.

I have long wondered what a machine like that would do for the legal system in a different way. People still will perceive things from their own database or fund of knowledge. I know with certainty that many people who testify as to how an event occurred are telling the truth as best they can, and they thoroughly believe in the truth of what they are saying. BUT, the simple fact is that ten people witnessing an event will have 10 different perceptions of it. Even if we printed out their brain impressions like a streaming video, their perceptions will still make the views presented vastly different.

Where they stood, whether they have a background or mind for detail or not, and how familiar they are with the area, parties, etc., all come into play as to the accuracies of their perceptions.

I would be all for making a law that strictly prohibited the use for exploring sexual fantasies between couples, even were such a machine to exist, since I think the harm it would do is far, far greater than any good that could come of it. Men truly DO think and perceive differently than women. In most cases, viva la difference!

Collapse -
by Chorus-Line A1-QMS / November 17, 2004 10:11 PM PST
This would spell the death-knell to many, if not most marriages. I know my husband looks at other females (he's married, not dead! LOL), but he is extremely discreet about it, and I don't think I want to know how often he has those thoughts, nor would he likely be thrilled with my random thoughts on men. Posted by: Diane Harrison

I would think that couples should be able to discuss this matters openly? If not, then perhaps the couple's marriage are not really that strong to withstand the truth? Keeping sexual fantasies in the context of marriage - would mean *cheating* for many others? Talking about these matter, others say that it is indecent, while others feel there are advantages in fullfilling some of these fantasies between the two wherein there is no need to carry out these fantasies somewhere else with others.

I think women would take it harder than men, since they seem to be able to accept fantasy about other women as a natural part of their lives. Women tend to take that same issue as a betrayal of trust, and an end to the love between the parties. It is a gender perception difference that is so huge, that I doubt it will ever be overcome.Posted by: Diane Harrison

I suppose jealousy is inherent part of human nature - male or female. I think it's a matter of decision which direction you would like to take as far as knowing your partners fantasies. Would one consider the knowledge as a means to make some changes to fullfill, satisfy some of these desires, or negatively think, "I NO LONGER TRUST HIM/HER".

I have long wondered what a machine like that would do for the legal system in a different way. People still will perceive things from their own database or fund of knowledge. I know with certainty that many people who testify as to how an event occurred are telling the truth as best they can, and they thoroughly believe in the truth of what they are saying. BUT, the simple fact is that ten people witnessing an event will have 10 different perceptions of it. Even if we printed out their brain impressions like a streaming video, their perceptions will still make the views presented vastly different. Posted by: Diane Harrison

If this gadget can record individual's sexual fantasies, I am almost certain it will capture other events (good and bad) as well such as i.e. perhaps it will show if an individual have murdered someone, stole something from a store, sat in one of the benches in Central park and sang a song etc. With this to say, perhaps then *HYPNOSIS* becomes a thing in the past replaced by this gadget, a futuristic gadget that may some day solve many crime mysteries other than relying on forinsic studies and on some psychic reading (which has been used now and then by some).

Where they stood, whether they have a background or mind for detail or not, and how familiar they are with the area, parties, etc., all come into play as to the accuracies of their perceptions.

Speaking of accuracy, I believe some tools invented (for specific purpose) provides close to almost accurate reading i.e. metal detectors, MRI, CT scan, x-ray machines, digital accuracy vs. mechanical weighing devices etc. As technology advances -- many things are futuristic possible.

For instance...another futuristic example from the movie - Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind where a gadget is used to erased which portion of events that a client would like to erased from their CPU (brain). Similar movie the Paycheckwhere informations are extracted from their brain to serve whatever purposes.

I would be all for making a law that strictly prohibited the use for exploring sexual fantasies between couples, even were such a machine to exist, since I think the harm it would do is far, far greater than any good that could come of it. Men truly DO think and perceive differently than women. In most cases, viva la difference! Posted by: Diane Harrison

Many gadgets invented has already invaded our privacy. One more invention is just another edition that will make a big difference - "purpose, required".
:
:
:
:
:
:
Btw, are men more visual than women, or just one of those myths?" Happy You all know the answer.
Collapse -
by Diane Harrison / November 17, 2004 10:54 PM PST

You are perhaps more optimistic or openminded than what would be expected of the average person, based on these comments, CL. Some things are better left in secret, and not discussed in the fashion you suggest, particularly between couples. Love between couples goes through phases in their relationship as time progresses. Sometimes it grows, sometimes it remains the same, but sometimes it dimishes greatly, as shown by the number of divorces and separations, as well as those still married, but unhappily so.

If a couple has been married for a long period of time, there are going to be physical changes that occur to each, that make them have their own self-doubts when they look in the mirror. It's human nature for people to be more critical of themselves and to think their "flaws" are more glaring than they likely are to others.

One would hope that the love between the couples would survive those cosmetic changes. But sometimes it doesn't. And other times, even though the love survives, it is unkind to make the other partner aware that the fantasies that a person harbors are about someone vastly different than their spouse. For example, if a couple gets married, and she is a size 5 at the time, and he is whatever is the equivalent for a man, at some point, they may both have gained a great deal of weight. Suddenly she is a 2X, or a 20, and he has Dunlops Disease (his belly done lopped over his belt).

It is probably more amusing to the man to find out his wife lusts after Brad Pitt, than harmful. But for the woman to find out that the man is having lustful thoughts about women on TV and at home and or at work, who are the size she USED to be, and likely never wlll be again, is usually hurtful. Also, she knows she cannot compete with younger women, even if she lost the weight, since there is only so much you can do to stem the tide of aging, if his fancy involves younger women. The same would likely be true if the man has his own isues with balding, for example, and the wife is enamored of Antonio Banderas or Fabio. It would be even worse, if he found out that her appreciation for men with lots of hair, relates to someone she knows and sees frequently at home or at work.

Sometimes the kindest thing, if you love someone, is to not share all your thoughts, particularly if those thoughts would hurt them. Listen to Carley Simon's song "We Have No Secrets," sometime, and you will see how she explains it. Here are the lyrics: http://www.lyricsdepot.com/carly-simon/we-have-no-secrets.html

Collapse -
Interesting claim
by EdH / November 17, 2004 2:19 AM PST

"In surveys since the 1960s, men typically report having more sexual partners and than do women - a statistically impossible feat."

A moment's thought will show you how completely bogus that statement is. I wonder if the rest of the article is equally accurate. So much for science, not to mention proofreading.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I had the same thought you did, EdH.
by Cindi Haynes / November 17, 2004 9:28 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting claim
Collapse -
Re: Interesting claim
by Dragon / November 17, 2004 10:45 AM PST
In reply to: Interesting claim
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.