Computer Help forum

Fake blue screen of death(?)

by orange123jdjdnd / May 23, 2015 10:35 AM PDT

I have recently scanned and removed some malware on windows 7. But now I get this bsod but this is different from other ones I have seen. After 10 min. Of turning on the computer, the bsod comes up but the text is centered, not to the left like most. Also, I can get the sticky key prompt to show the task bar and I can do everything on the task bar. (Like chrome, some games, etc) and If I put my cursor on the corner thing, I can see my wallpaper and my icons. So is this a fake bsod that a virus is causing or what? And how do I get rid of it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Fake blue screen of death(?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Fake blue screen of death(?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
try system restore
by renegade600 / May 23, 2015 10:42 AM PDT

try doing a system restore to a restore point prior to when you got the original malware.

Collapse -
Sounds fake to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2015 10:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Update (idk how to edit post)
by orange123jdjdnd / May 23, 2015 1:41 PM PDT

when the "fake" blue screen of death comes up, i tried to open random programs then a window popped up saying, "SenseIUpdater stopped responding... " after i close the window the bsod went away. (came back 45 minutes later, though. so i tried to stop SenseIUpdater in task manager but it says, "task manager disabled by your admin." (i am the admin. so... idk whats going on.

Collapse -
Do you have a Sensei mouse? or had?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2015 3:07 PM PDT

Doesn't appear to be malicious.

Collapse -
I don't have a sense mouse
by orange123jdjdnd / May 24, 2015 12:02 AM PDT

I don't think I have one. I have a Chinese knockoff Razer mouse.. Called mazer. Maybe it uses the same driver? But i don't have a sense mouse or keyboard, or anything

Collapse -
(NT) I'd make that bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2015 2:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
Factory reset
by orange123jdjdnd / May 25, 2015 9:25 AM PDT

So after trying to solve the problem i decided to just reset my laptop. (I reset my laptop like 2 weeks go so i have nothing to lose.) but when i went to control panel to reset it says, "reinstall windows (requires Windows Installation disc)" so now im confused on how to reset it. Do you really need the disc because i dont have it and i dont want to not have windows.

Collapse -
I can't find the make, model of this laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2015 9:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Factory reset

But many of these pests damage the onboard recovery systems then we use the recovery media instead. All models to date provide a way to make these discs. Many folk don't. I can't answer why.

Collapse -
Hey Bob,
by Dafydd Forum moderator / May 25, 2015 10:26 AM PDT

do you think that all new computers should come with this on first boot, " if you don't make the restore media, this machine will shut down until you do."

Collapse -
Maybe the PC design needs to change.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2015 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey Bob,

This design is getting too much for some. Maybe the majority. I fear the PC may suffer even a higher loss unless they tackle this area sooner than later.

While the moderators all gather and chant "You only lose what you don't backup." this area is really from the stone age. Can you imagine this on a car? Oh wait, Tesla already does this. I bet it's not Windows under the hood.

Just a day ago I unpacked a new machine. Fire it up and went to put on Firefox. In the stock IE I searched for Firefox and of the top 10 finds most were suspect. I did this as a test to see what an average Joe might do. My bet is half the new machines get infected in the first day.

Collapse -
by Dafydd Forum moderator / May 25, 2015 10:58 AM PDT

When I first got my Win 7 machine I was prompted a first boot to make the restore media. This I did, and made duplicates on different make DVDs. I then had a problem I couldn't put my finger on. So I used the recovery partition to restore to factory settings.
All well and good but I had the chance to make the restore media again. So now I've got three sets.

Collapse -
by itsdigger / May 25, 2015 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: True!

I have 8 sets, been making a set every year since 07. Started off with Vista and did a Win 7 upgrade in 09 so I Can restore it to original Vista or 7.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?