HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Failure using ."GIF" Graphic File for Developing Web Page

by Dr. Charles Lee Vaughn / October 22, 2007 3:51 AM PDT

I'm an admitted "novice" attempting to learn HTML to create my first Web Page from instruction course. My system is Windows 98 SE on a Gateway 2000 computer; my Web Brower is Microsoft Internet Explorer. Here's my challange I have all of the HTML "tags" that leads to a fully functional Web Page!
I successfully follow chapter 2 instructions to change background colors by <BODY BGCOLOR="#CCFFCC'> (e.g. CCFFCC is computerese for light green, i'm told); UNTIL we are to specify a background image as follows:
<BODY BACKGROUND="swirlies.gif"> And instead of the blue swirlies background image appearing the Web Page (after selecting "save" and hitting the "refresh" button on the browser) -- the Web Page retuns a plain white background - the CCFFCC color light green is also taken away?? QUESTION: "What do I need to do to get my system's ".GIF" Graphic File to respond? I feel that because I'm a novice I must be doing something in error. I've tried over and over with the same results -- the GIF Graphic File will not respond! Can someone take pity and help me to resolve this problem - I don't know where else to turn because other Forums speak a "technical" language that is way over my head and they don't seem to be able to relate to a novice such as myself- Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Failure using ."GIF" Graphic File for Developing Web Page
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Failure using ."GIF" Graphic File for Developing Web Page
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your IE probably needs updated.
by Me, Myself and You / October 25, 2007 12:10 AM PDT

IE 4 and 5 are long passed, and don't display many pages as it should. Get IE 6 from MSFT, should fix your prob.

Collapse -
Re: background
by Kees Bakker / October 30, 2007 6:46 AM PDT

Nothing wrong with your statement. Not even in IE 4.0.
The only thing you should be sure of is that the gif-file exists and that it is located in the same folder as the html-file that 'calls' it. If it isn't there will be no error message, but just a white background, as you noticed already.

If it's in another folder use the full filename (like c:\gifs\swirlies.gif). But that doesn't work when you copy your html to a webserver to publish it. In that case it MUST be in the same folder (or a subfolder or - anyway - something in a fixed relation to the html-file, but you must use a socalled "relative" path then). Details should be mentioned in the course.

Having it in the same folder, and just using the filename should always work. I just tried to be sure. And, practically speaking, this is by far the most likely error you made.

By the way, doesn't this book/course tell you that it's customary to write the code in lower case, not in CAPITALS?

Hope this helps. Not too technical, I hope?

Lees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.