General discussion

Failure to recognize newly installed HDD

My Win98SE OS does not show my Primary IDE Slave drive when I select MY Computer.
The slave HDD is jumpered as slave and is able to be exercised using PC Technician (diagnostic program).
This is a Maxtor 71000A HDD which I can select via Device Managers Tools tab.
The Selection comes back with .... "This device is already installed, but it has been removed from the Hardware Profile. To add the device to this hardware profile. click finish".
The system searches for new devices but does not add the HDD to the Device Manager.
I have re-installed Win98SE to no avail.

I would welcome any ideas.
rbul@toast.net

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Failure to recognize newly installed HDD
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Failure to recognize newly installed HDD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
How old is this 1.0GB drive?

You may have seen it die or forgot to partition and format it. Which is something Windows 98 doesn't do.

Bob

- Collapse -
Partion & Format

I can't Fdisk/Format until HDD is "seen" by the PC.

This is an EIDE HDD perhaps 6 to 8 yrs old.

R. Buller

- Collapse -
When you look in CMOS...

set up what is the drive recognized as?

Is it set as slave on a datacable that has a valid master?

Was it initially set up using a drive overlay?

What does FDISK run from a BOOT DISKETTE have to say about the drive?

- Collapse -
HDD not "seen".

That is the crux of the problem, the BIOS does not recognize the device, although as stated I can test the device using a diagnostic program.

- Collapse -
If the BIOS doesn't see, neither will Windows.

You'll need to sort out if the drive is dead by whatever means you have available. But any 1.0GB drive is so far past it's life expectency that I know to remove it and move on.

Bob

- Collapse -
does it spin up?

if not...maybe dead.
Disconnect CDrom from 2nd IDE, put Max on as master. Work? If so, slave the CDrom.
Secondary IDE controller must show in Device Manager.
Primary master Hdd may have to have jumper to allow slave on same IDE.

CNET Forums

Forum Info