Computer Help forum

General discussion

Failing Hard Drive. The signs, the story.

Just sharing my weekend story of how my wife's machine was acting sluggish and more during the week. I ran the usual scans with the current forum favorites of MALWAREBYTES, SUPERANTISPYWARE and found nothing. So I went and do what optimizing I know but it was not improving but getting slower and slower.

-> The big clue showed up when I ran a SURFACE SCAN of the drive. It didn't fail but took hours for what should be an one hour task. That is a sign I know about which is one of your signs on impending doom.

The new drive was fitted, the fresh OS installed, latest protections and the old drive put into some USB external enclosure and the home directories copied over.

The machine feels like new and the old hard disk now fails it's maker's diagnostics with a solid "Impending Disaster" message.

Feeling like I dodged the bullet,
Bob

PS. Yes we have a network backup system but catching a failure early is much faster to get the files over from the old drive rather than off the network.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Failing Hard Drive. The signs, the story.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Failing Hard Drive. The signs, the story.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Excellent story. . .

In reply to: Failing Hard Drive. The signs, the story.

A bit lacking in sex and violence for me, but interesting.

To make a major catastrophe less traumatic, I clone my HD once a month or so. The drive is in an external enclosure and placed in storage. If the main drive dies I just pop the cloned drive in and done. Stuff I can't afford to loose is put on another external drive and burned a little more often.

Those drives contain rare earth magnets. Fun to play with.

Collapse -
Good catch, Bob!

I'm assuming that you also had proper backups in case the old HDD had crapped out completely when installed in the external enclosure?

Collapse -
I shared since...

In reply to: Good catch, Bob!

While I do have backup on a network drive and she has "what can never be lost" on USB memory sticks on CDRW the early detection allowed me to make this into a non-event.

I share in hopes that someone will dodge the bullet that has their name on it.
Bob

Collapse -
what? you didn't have a SMART monitor in place?

tsk tsk.

Collapse -
Did.

In reply to: what? you didn't have a SMART monitor in place?

It didn't tell us it was doomed till I ran the maker's drive fitness tests.

There's a nugget here.

Collapse -
Hard drive surprises

not all hard drives, trust me, give warnings. Mine went belly up in the middle of an application, no warning, no sluggish behavior, no death rattle. Just type type type "a fatal error has occurred" and then oblivion. Luckily we had just made a backup the week before, so I only lost a week's worth of emails and a few photos, but it could have been much worse. I'd say you were lucky to have caught yours before it DID throw up all over the new rug, and saved yourself some grief...

Collapse -
Smart isn't much use

In reply to: Hard drive surprises

A relative of mine has a Dell laptop which has always been unusually slow - and on the occasions I had used it, the hard disc was noticably noisy, making those repeated clicking noises and even spinning down & back up again in the middle of transfers. Smart said everything was fine, I ran drive fitness, soak tests & surface scans, and couldn't generate an error message. Finally, 3 years old, it started to corrupt files and I decided to replace the disk for her - and on removing it i discovered a series of dents in the top cover, put there in the factory. No wonder the replacement drive benchmarks 5x faster!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.